Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Jon's 3rd build: DTL-1

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Wet sanding has more of a polishing effect than abrading of dry sanding.
    You can do a test on a piece of scrap that has finish on it: wet sand one area, then dry sand next to it. You can physically see the difference.
    Cool. Thanks. I have learnt something today ;-)

2. Liked by: Freakystyley

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    Cool. Thanks. I have learnt something today ;-)
    Me too. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I lightly sanded back with 800 grit, and sprayed another coat of clear. Unfortunately this last coat has developed a bloom, presumably because it was a rather humid day. Bit of a silly mistake in retrospect, but there you go. I'll let it cure then sand it out. Is there anything else I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    So I lightly sanded back with 800 grit, and sprayed another coat of clear. Unfortunately this last coat has developed a bloom, presumably because it was a rather humid day. Bit of a silly mistake in retrospect, but there you go. I'll let it cure then sand it out. Is there anything else I can do?
    I don't use nitro, but it does have some advantages over acrylic lacquer when it comes to repairs, and fixing bloom.
    I've copied this from Rothko & Frost website:

"To cure blooming, key the bloomed lacquer to 600 grit, then apply a light coat of lacquer over the top. This will re-dissolve the existing lacquer allowing the moisture to escape. It should now dry to a clear finish. It is important that this process is performed in a dry, room-temperature environment."
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

That’s good to know, thanks McCreed. I shall wait for a Sydney day with low humidity, which might be a while!

Jonwhitear, I just picked up this thread. I too ended up with a slight orange peel while spraying with nitro (metallic blue), and decided that I didn't want to keep sanding and spraying and sanding and spraying. I finally got a coat that's evenly orange peeled, and decided I rather like it. Sanded the last clear coat lightly, polished with Meguires, and I'm going ahead with it. Don't know whether that is an option for you.

BTW, love the grain and the color!!

Thanks XP Rider. I'm hoping I'm going to address the orange peel when I get to the final sand / polish. I think/hope I've got a fairly thick layer of clear over the blue. The orange peel wasn't really too bad.

Fortunately, we've had a fairly low humidity day today, and I got a chance to key the bloom and respray. That seems to have done the job nicely, although I ran out of nitro before I had really got enough on the edges.

That seems to have done the job nicely, although I ran out of nitro before I had really got enough on the edges.
    Did you at least get all the bloom?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Did you at least get all the bloom?
    Yes I think so. There may be traces left on the edges, but you’d have to look pretty hard to find them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast