Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: DJP - flying v

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    232
    Aaah. That stupidity definition. Whilst filling the original cracks with gold paint looked cool - it is just re-cracking when new finish is put on. The enamel paint under the top clearcoat has turned to putty. Oh well. I've learned something - not least that sometimes you just cant avoid the sander. Groundhog day indeed (x3). Maybe a simple black with the green top will work better anyway. Green seems a tough colour on many fronts.
    Completed Builds
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    West of Brisbane
    Posts
    21
    Wow, you have gone through quite some transitions with the paint scheme. I only just found this thread and I really liked your original green with the flame cap showing though. (About your third or forth image on the thread. So probably 2 years back). I may try copy that on my next build if you don't mind Some awesome green tones in this thread.. very healthy

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    232
    Yeah. Hindsight is wonderful ! The original green was a Forest Green from Bunings. I had a perfect mirror finish, best yet, and I should (1) have stuck with it (2) paid more attention to Simon r.e. the mixed finishes. It didn' t get any better after the first nitro. Which is a shame as the gold cracks looked cool. But hey - it has been a good learning trip and I got to experiment. Going forward I reckon you can normally put any top on a black body (I hope). I've had another kit ready to go for 12 months - but I want do do a good job on this v-shaped monster first.
    Completed Builds
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

  4. Liked by: GerardL

  5. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    232
    Finally.
    Smooth black finish ready for polishing.
    Kept having troubles with uneven finish where original cracks were but all good now. Seems stable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resizer_16483754731021.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	624.4 KB 
ID:	42827
    Completed Builds
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

  6. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    232
    She'll do. Happier now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resizer_16483888515151.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	696.9 KB 
ID:	42828
    Completed Builds
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

  7. #46
    Overlord of Music McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    3,451
    Well that's betterer!
    Perseverance can pay off...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  8. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    232
    The colour scheme was the problem. I think she'll be alright now. Black body probably goes with just about any top.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resizer_16490052445111.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	946.2 KB 
ID:	42876
    Completed Builds
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

  9. Liked by: GerardL

  10. #48
    Overlord of Music McCreed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    3,451
    Oooh, I don't think I'd seen the the top colour before... I think that looks great with the black!

    I'm not a V guy, but that will look really nice all put together. Good work!
    Last edited by McCreed; 08-04-2022 at 06:02 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

  11. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    232
    Thanks. I think it should be quite an improvement. The overall colour scheme should work. The acrylic coat on the back is not cured yet - I accidentally left the guitar body sitting on a matchstick and had to spend a night with fine sand paper and wire wool re- finishing the deep bloody crease it made in the back ! All good now though. Just need to be patient for a month or so before working on wiring and final construction. I've found the spray on acrylic can be far softer than you think it is for a long time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resizer_16493395738533.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	950.6 KB 
ID:	42893
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resizer_16493395559861.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	531.5 KB 
ID:	42894
    Completed Builds
    #6 FV-1G
    #5 ATL 1SB Thinline
    #4 ST1-Jnr
    # 3 JBA-4
    # 2 LP-1S
    # 1 TLA-1R

  12. #50
    Looking good. Rock on!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •