Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: December GOTM

GregLane's ES-1F.
    Clean & unpretentious. Love the G on the headstock. Binding looks really clean.
    Nicely put together kit with an emphasis on classic styling. I saw some finishing issues in the diary and these have been overcome quite well, unfortunately some of the definition in the flame has been lost, but it actually works quite well with the overall look and feel of the guitar. Some good upgrades already and sounds like it will continue to grow and be modified. Personally, I’d like to see a more traditional bell shaped truss rod cover as those trapezoid ones really scream ‘kit build’ and it spoils the classic vibes of this build a little. But otherwise a nice guitar that ticks a lot of boxes for me.
    I've seen quite a few attempts at a Black Stain that didn't quite work. This one does! Nice work Greg, I think this looks amazing.

KiMT's GTL-1.
    Has the ‘70s diner vibe. Probably not a guitar I would pick for myself, but it is eye catching and I admire the unique approach and that the alligator skin pattern extends to the bridge and control plate.
    Really impressive and original build with lots of custom touches that have been very nicely executed. Overall cohesiveness and attention to detail makes this a very high quality build. It might not be my taste per se, but it would certainly get my attention in a store.
    I think we all like to see a build in the GOTM that is completely unique and you, KiMT, have certtainly delivered. I love this! Won't be everyone's taste, but it's definitely mine. Crocodile skin pickguard, bridge and control panel FTW! Bravo!

Grug's PRS-1Q.
    Good burst job. I feel you could have doubled down on the assymetricality of the burst and headstock & made both more overt.
    Very nicely executed build with some well thought out upgrades and nice personal touches. The overall finish and assembly looks pretty good, but there are a few small flaws evident. The cut out in the binding doesn’t quite work for me, but all in all a very solid effort, especially for a first build.
    Tequila Sunrise? This is a great look... it's different enough to be special but would appeal to a broad range of buyers... nice work Grug!

And the runner up:
    The judges liked the look of Greg Lane's ES-1F

But the winner:
    KiMT's GTL-1 - the originality took the win. Well done KiMT!

3. Liked by: PJSprog

Three eclectic and equally good guitars in my opinion, tough to judge. Well done everyone especially KiMT’s original effort.

Congratulations KiMT. That's a really nice looking guitar with unique finishing tricks I haven't seen on the forum before.

Thanks to the judges for the excellent constructive comments. Particularly the comment about the bell truss rod cover. I didn't even give it a thought and you a dead right as usual. The guitar is going to get a very quick mini upgrade for Xmas.
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Another great comp, with some tasty builds - well done guys, and congratulations KimT - I was certainly cheering this one on!!

Congratulations
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2