Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mmmmm....WOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    At the end of the day , it's *your* instrument, and it can be whatever the **** shape you want! If you *realy* want a strat, go for it. If you want to turn it into a space ship, that's kewl too. If you really wanna give it the dirty hillbilly swamp treatment, just sand it and leave it as the block it is .
    Oooh Spaceship guitar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Oooh Spaceship guitar!
    Yeh, well.. whilst looking for relevant posts for my first build, I got side tracked and fell down the rabbit hole that was "Pinball Wizard". I'm sure the depths of madness have yet to be plumbed .

If you can slice the pieces into half inch slabs you could make a wonderful book matched semi solid thinline swamp telecaster, possibly even using the waste from the shape cut to build the sides and get the body depth The centre solid section and neck mount could be another unseen hardwood. Sorry just getting a bit carried away there, do love a tele!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Butbut......<whine> then we can't talk about 6oz glass vs 4oz glass, or discuss the finer points of polyester vs epoxy.....
    There are no finer points of polyester...
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by impala59 View Post
    If you can slice the pieces into half inch slabs you could make a wonderful book matched semi solid thinline swamp telecaster, possibly even using the waste from the shape cut to build the sides and get the body depth The centre solid section and neck mount could be another unseen hardwood. Sorry just getting a bit carried away there, do love a tele!
    It’s an option, though I might try to pare it down a little thinner, say 1/4” slice with the gnarly grain and do an edge bind. I am really only just squeaking in on the edges with this, so I may do a filler strip in the middle, NZ beech or Maple, I’ve some thin walnut stock as well that would look great.
    That would leave me maybe 5/8 inch of the unfissured figured part to do a carved top something something.
    FrankenLab

It’s an option, though I might try to pare it down a little thinner, say 1/4” slice with the gnarly grain and do an edge bind. I am really only just squeaking in on the edges with this, so I may do a filler strip in the middle, NZ beech or Maple, I’ve some thin walnut stock as well that would look great.
    That would leave me maybe 5/8 inch of the unfissured figured part to do a carved top something something.
    You could always make it a neck through

Build what makes you happy. Guitar, shef, picture frame, whatever; as long as you like it.

But probably not another 10' tall humanoid constructed from multiple body parts (sorry, Egor).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    But probably not another 10' tall humanoid constructed from multiple body parts (sorry, Egor).
    Cant do 10’ creature anyway. Lab ceiling height will only allow for 7’, 8’ if it hunches over. Could look at some sort of hinge or folding mechanism in the middle I suppose.
    FrankenLab

The thread heading is Mmmm WOOD. I feel a strip canoe is admissible, just don’t drift of into talk of fibreglass and resins M’kay!?
    Many (many) years ago I was involved in rescue boats and helo's. One of the boats I crewed was of timber construction. Every other boat was fibreglass. The sign below hung in the shed and I think it applies equally to guitars:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fibreglass trees.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	37866  
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

11. Liked by: wazkelly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast