Thread: Longscale Snakehead Tenor

Longscale Snakehead Baritone

While I am settling the current builds and with work rearing its ugly head, I thought I would post the next one in planning as I collect parts etc. A donated Tele body (that I will probably have to fill then rout) a salvaged Kay 30" scale 20 fret bass neck, 42mm at the nut and 56 mm at the heel and various bits of hard ware is where I am at this time. I have plugged the 12 mm tuner holes and laid a rough template of my headstock on it. The neck originally has a zero fret which has been worked for action. It is my plan to dispense with the zero fret and fit a Gibson style brass nut in its place, using the zero fret wire locator as my zero point. The truss rod adjuster is at the body end, but no big deal there. I plan on using a Strat type fixed bridge as the smaller size will make the proportions look better where it will sit closer to the edge of the body due to the scale. Through the body stringing with my usual brass ferrule block. I am undecided on pick up/s at this time, we will see what turns up. I have no idea how tenors should be set up but initially plan to use 10-42's and tune to B, I guess about halfway to bass? Its another learning experience
    shtenor (1).JPG (113.2 KB)
    shtenor (3).JPG (79.9 KB)
    shtenor (4).JPG (79.0 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shtenor (1).JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	37813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shtenor (3).JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	37814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shtenor (4).JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	37815  
    Last edited by impala59; 23-11-2020 at 02:48 AM.
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

I made a little progress on the baritone, I reshaped the headstock, removed the zero fret (currently have a plastic Gibson type nut held with ds tape so as to check centreline etc) Sorting through the bits and pieces box, I found an old single coil neck pickup and a P90 clone, a Strat hi-density fixed bridge, an unused Strat scratchplate (which was split at the middle pickup) and a standard three way control plate. Routed out for the P90 with my trusty Dremel and modified the broken scratchplate into a two piece affair, a little work still needed to make the curves a touch more fluid (if I'm not careful I will find myself in the ugly guitar thread! Maybe my next builds will put me firmly there!)
    I was expecting this 30" scale guitar to look and feel unwieldy, but prior to test stringing it actually feels OK. The second picture shows it next to the 24,75" currently resting and settling, not as drastic as I had anticipated. The 12th fret is actually in the same place (Doh! of course it is! if it wasn't I would be in a whole world of do do! ) When strung and playing, well that's yet to be discovered. As always I live in hope!
    Still to fit the string through back plate, brass nut, tuners and veneer (or something else for the headstock) Not decided on the finish yet but considering a black stain and oil
    shtenor (7).JPG (245.7 KB)
    shtenor (8).JPG (109.5 KB)

Name:	shtenor (7).JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	37916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shtenor (8).JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	37917  
    Last edited by impala59; 30-11-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

Well I've had a bit of education today. Visiting a friend who is a bit poorly, he asked what I was up to and I brought him up to date with my current builds. Now he is a player of some note, has a bit of a guitar collection and is someone I respect and will go to for advice etc. It would seem that I am not in fact building a Tenor but a Baritone. Just goes to show I really am making it up as I go!

I was thinking that myself earlier, but then my brain seized up and I forgot about it.

I'm not totally convinced about the split pickguard. I also feel that with the bridge further back, you'll probably play it somewhere between the bridge and the bridge pickup, which means there won't be any protection for the body. I'd be tempted to have a go at making a one-piece pickguard that fills in the gaps. It's not too hard to do at all. I've managed a couple now.

Yes, also not convinced by my mock up effort! Originally was going with the large forward part only as more ornamental than protective then realised I needed to cover the partial holes where I have substituted the P90 for the angled single coil. I could possibly just have a simple squared surround for the P90 I suppose. I have some pickguard blanks somewhere perhaps I will attempt a full guard.
    I think my brain is permanently seized, it works at night when I'm trying to get to sleep, planting stupid ideas that I stack up and then try to create. I believe that I have a Telecaster problem, I am haunted by them and am sure will eventually end up in the ugly guitar thread with some odd creation. I have a couple in the wings............

Strung up and resting/settling now, is a bit weird with the long scale but thats my fault for making weird guitars! Unfortunately while in my workshop earlier I managed to break my camera, can download but not take pics at the moment

Cool

Camera fixed with Gaffa tape and superglue, I kid you not! The local camera shop was open briefly yesterday (during our semi lockdown) and he said it was a write off and he would be happy to sell me a new one.......so I fixed it myself, can't change the lens, but I don't have another anyway, so no loss there then. Can't take a self portrait, again no loss there! all other functions seem to work, I can live with it.
    Anyway, a pic of the Baritele, my daughter does love naming things (sounds like a Brazilian F1 driver) as is at the moment strung and resting prior to finishing. I changed the weird P90 surround for one slightly less weird. An interesting point, going back to Simons comment about the place that I would strum, I actually feel most comfortable directly over the neck pickup, so the scratch plate, as is, serves its purpose. Plus when trying to make an alternative one my Dremel spiral saw decided to leap through it like a tsunami and totally destroyed my only blank. I may have another go, I wonder what tools you guys use to accurately cut pick guards?
    This guitar is a bit of a revelation now I've got used to it a bit, my lead playing seems more accurate, perhaps because I have more space? I am of the Tony Mcphee school of lead, hit a wrong note, hit it again and again it sounds like the right note. Open chords are dreamily deep and mournful. I think it will repay practice
    I would like to change the Title of this thread but it seems locked, longscale tenor its not!
    bari.JPG (187.5 KB)

Name:	bari.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	38225  

I'm curious about pickguard cutting tools too. I haven't done a huge deal of research but it seems like it would be very handy to have total control over pickguard options.

Build looks great!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

I’ve just used a thin bladed jigsaw to cut the outline close to a stuck-on paper template, then used a Dremel rotary sander to get down to the outline and finish off by hand files. But I haven’t done that many and with minimal straight edges and no pickup slots.

A table router and a template would be better if you have one.