Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: First ever build. GS-2Q

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    The PBG diagram is for a 3-way blade switch, whereas yours is a 3-way toggle. This diagram is better match for your build, but it doesn't really matter.

Hopefully this helps:
    Attachment 38037

The rest of the connections appear to be OK, but I can't see all the lugs on the volume pot to be certain. Don't worry about the 'spare' blue wire.

The black ground wire from the jack is going to the back of the volume pot and then to the back of the tone pot. The grey wire is going from the back of the volume pot to the ground lug on the switch. Thus both pots and the switch have a ground connection to the jack. The red wire from the jack is your signal 'hot' which goes to the lug on the volume pot. The purple is the 'hot' output from the switch to the other lug on the volume pot, and then another red links this to your tone pot. Make sense?
    So....Basically, because both the switch, and the tone knob are grounded into the volume knob, and the volume knob is grounded into the jack everything is grounded, except for the humbuckers, of course, which haven't been installed yet.
    Did I follow that?

I think so. So you just need to connect the pickups. You've got a few connections to make on the ground tab on the selector switch, which can be awkward. It can help, if you have a bit of tinned copper wore, to solder the wire to the the ground tab on the switch, and wrap it round the other ground connections and solder that up. Rather like as shown in this video, except you haven't got the same external braid wires, but you can connect up the shield braid in a similar way if you find it easier. Just make sure you cut the pickup cables so have enough insulated length of signal wire to make the connections on the other side of the switch without any risk of the signal shorting to ground.

Can anybody give me a good solid reason to not screw these tuner heads in slightly askew?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201124_173042.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	38160

Name:	20201124_172923.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	38161

No, but I’d take a little time to get a coherent plan of how you will arrange the tuners. As shown, the rear pic shows the tuners at several different angles relative to the edge of the headstock, which looks rather messy IMO. Aesthetics aside, the only thing to be aware of if you set the tuner posts at 90° to the headstock edge is that this will bring the pegs closer together, so just make sure that there's sufficient space to turn a tuner without knocking the tuner(s) next to it. It shouldn't be an issue, but worth checking. You may struggle with a string winder unless you turn the pegs either side to face straight up or down, giving maximum space between the buttons, but this is normal practice on 6-in-line headstocks, it’s just the final manual tuner adjustment you need to check for.

She. Is. Finished.
    (I think I may have put in the bridge humbucker upside down...I may switch that around...or I may just swap out the humbuckers before I get around to even doing that.

Name:	20201130_202929.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	38263

Name:	20201130_202922.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	413.3 KB 
ID:	38265

and about the time that I started getting the wiring in, I realized that I made my guitar kind of look like me.

Name:	IMG_20201002_222914_457.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	518.3 KB 
ID:	38264
    Last edited by marcianotmarsha; 02-12-2020 at 04:42 AM.

6. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

It looks great. How does it play?

There isn't really a 'right' way to install humbucking pickups, but where you have screws and slugs, the screws are normally aligned to face away from the middle of the body, so the way the bridge pickup is installed is 'correct'. However that's cosmetic only (and started by Gibson just because they thought it looked best). Rotating the pickup 180° doesn't change the sound or the output polarity, though if you are coil splitting, then it will affect whether the selected single coil is nearest to the bridge or not.

Quote Originally Posted by marcianotmarsha View Post
    Ah! I just saw someone else's pickups installed differently on Instagram. Good to know that these particular ones don't have that going on right now. There's no coil splitting here, but if I change out the humbuckers, I may decide to do some coil splitting as well.
    The guitar plays decently. It's not necessarily going to be replacing my regular player, but I'm happy with how it came out, considering it's my first build and the hardware and electronics are almost all from the kit. (I swapped out the plastic nut for a Graphtech one and I popped some decent and sleeker looking black Pot covers on it, considering the Gibson style ones looked bulky and out of place.)
    When I took the guitar to my guitar tech to have the nut swapped out, he seemed decently impressed for a first build....so, I'm taking this one as a win. I'm thinking I may want to take on a semi-hollow body next...since that's the only thing that my boyfriend and I don't have in the house at this point.
    Ah! I just saw someone else's pickups installed differently on Instagram. Good to know that these particular ones don't have that going on right now. There's no coil splitting here, but if I change out the humbuckers, I may decide to do some coil splitting as well.
    The guitar plays decently. It's not necessarily going to be replacing my regular player, but I'm happy with how it came out, considering it's my first build and the hardware and electronics are almost all from the kit. (I swapped out the plastic nut for a Graphtech one and I popped some decent and sleeker looking black Pot covers on it, considering the Gibson style ones looked bulky and out of place.)
    When I took the guitar to my guitar tech to have the nut swapped out, he seemed decently impressed for a first build....so, I'm taking this one as a win. I'm thinking I may want to take on a semi-hollow body next...since that's the only thing that my boyfriend and I don't have in the house at this point

Good work!

I realized that I made my guitar kind of look like me.
    Coincidence??? I think not...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4