Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Offset Semi-scratch Thingamajig.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Offset Semi-scratch Thingamajig.

Just messing around and thinking about what I might do next as a project for me. I'm thinking of just using all the stuff I already have floating around, something like this.

I'm considering doing a thinline/semi-hollow version of the body.

I'm going to make a better template for a start and then see what I can dig up for body wood.

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

OK, decided to use the 'stair' blanks for this one, so I'll just update this thread and leave the other one for official 'deluxster' builds.

I'm going to do black stain with red under it the same as the 'black cherry' SG but with a satin poly finish.

Templates are just about there. I think they'll work OK, I really wish laser cutters were a more reasonable price so I could have one in my shed.

'Clamps' are off the join, but I can see a little bit of glue that hasn't dried fully so I guess I'll leave it another 24hrs

Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 25-10-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Neck pocket and cavity routes done. Neck isn't at full depth as I think I'll need to put a break angle on it if I'm going to use the Tune-o-matic bridge. Will have to work out a rig for that. Might 3d Print a wedge for the router to run on unless anyone has any better ideas.

Basic shape roughed out. Will probably have another tickle on the band saw, then I'll hit the table router. I just needs to go and get a fresh follow bit as the one there is very tired after the last build.

Did manage to find a rusty screw, hopefully I got all of it out.

I'm also starting to second guess how I finish this. I'd like to preserve some of the wood, but brown and red really don't work for me.... and I don't especially want to make and entire new scratch plate... will keep thinking about it and see how it looks once I start sanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I don't especially want to make and entire new scratch plate...
    I guess it takes all sorts.

That fugly scratchplate was the first thing to discard from my JM-1 kit.

Here's somebody else building a guitar around it.

cheers, Mark.

5. Liked by: wazkelly

Hah hah.. only because I replaced it on my JM. I think it looks cool with the right finish. Nitroburners candy red build looked awesome with the red pearloid. And I've seen a few black finishes with it that look good.

I have a heap of aluminum here I could use, that would probably look good on a natural finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I think it looks cool with the right finish. Nitroburners candy red build looked awesome with the red pearloid. And I've seen a few black finishes with it that look good.
    Yeah I probably could have lived with the colour. (i.e. Wilko Johnson Tele)
    but those 3 pickups crammed into the middle of it definitely ruled it out in my book.

cheers, Mark.

Yeah it does look a little odd, but when I had it installed in the JM the range of sounds from the positions was actually quite good, even with the stock pickups. I used the neck pickup in that white offset build, so I'll either use one out of my washburn or perhaps even a tele lipstick one I have here.

This will be a bit of a weirdo guitar regardless so I don't mind the arrangement for the purposes of this project.

Are you holding back on the headstock shape? For what it’s worth, the semi TL shape you have marked looks just about right to me, sort of halfway between TL and ST

Quote Originally Posted by impala59 View Post
    Are you holding back on the headstock shape? For what it’s worth, the semi TL shape you have marked looks just about right to me, sort of halfway between TL and ST
    Yeah I just haven’t got around to cutting it yet, but it will be along the lines of that. Fair bit of work do do on the neck yet.

Thanks Col, that is a lovely guitar. I dunno what I’ll do yet to be honest, so I’ll just keep thinking about it while I get on with the shaping.

Well using my superpower of impatience I went ahead and table routed with the old bit. Actually went OK, a few small tear outs that will sand out easily enough during final shaping. I did splinter a little off the neck pocket but I was able to find the splinter and glue it back in.

Gave it a quick hit the the orbital sander. It's looking pretty rustic, which I guess was kind of what I was going for using recycled timber.

I am now very strongly leaning toward making an aluminum pickguard and keeping the wood pretty natural. I think that would work better against the grain. Might even have a go at some etching on it.... Apart from the red not really matching, I've actually routed everything a bit far south dues to not paying close enough attention. Not really an issue, Have adjusted the lower 'horn' a bit to compensate. A specific pickguard will sort it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast