Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Offset Semi-scratch Thingamajig.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Thanks John, actually wouldn’t look out of place next to your cab with the red material on the front 😊
    We should make it happen sometime!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Well it's been a while since I've had much to share on here. I started a masters degree this year and foolishly joined a second band so time has been at a premium. Doesn't mean building has completely ground to a halt. I'm going tomorrow to have a fresh set of scratch build templates cut for an offset version of the Deluxster and I've been tinkering with this build quite a bit.

While I love playing the Shoegazer, it doesn't really have the flexibility I need for my main band. Being a 'chuck it on the bridge pickup and go for it' guy doesn't work for the eclectic styles we do and despite 3 different bridge pickup changes I can't find one that does everything I want. So I started using this one, the lipstick is so gorgeous clean and feeds back like a monster dirty. The middle is great for general rhythm duties and I get a trusty humbucker for lead stuff. It's taken a while to get used to playing more carefully to avoid hitting switches and knobs, but overall I think that has also helped improve my sound.

The main issue however is that it is heavy as all get out. Easily my heaviest guitar and with the hard edges around the body quite uncomfortable to play for long periods. So I set about a weight loss program, routing out a massive swimming pool, enlarging the belly and forearm curves significantly and even taking a couple of mm out of the neck pocket to bring it deeper into the body and let me wind the bridge and pickups down a bit. Also had a colour change... which I'm not totally sold on. But it's like concrete to sand so I'll probably leave it for a bit. Went black, then decided that was too much so ended up with brown. Next up will be a middle pickup cover and a better ring around the humbucker as I just painted these black with rustoleum and it's wearing thru pretty quickly.

Some pics:

One of the changes I've made to my templates is to make the neck heel standard Fender style to open up a range of options there. So with my next scratch build I will make 2 necks and one of them will end up on this guitar to make it a full scratch build. The Pitbull neck is fine, but I want my headstock and carve.

Finally, just for fun, here's a painting I did for our band room (Sorry about the crappy lighting, I forgot to take a pic before I handed it over)

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Hi Sonic
    Good to see you are still playing with the Deluxester. I look forward to seeing more of its evolution.
    The pickup changes look very interesting - food for thought in those changes.
    And best wishes for your uni studies. I completed a masters through USQ in Toowoomba (did it externally) in my fifties (I am now retired). I enjoyed it immensely. I reckon that the main ingredient for a masters is 90% perseverance! You will no doubt succeed.

All the best

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hey Colin,

Yeah, I'm doing it externally even though I am in Toowoomba just for the flexibility. And yes, it's just mainly keeping up. I had to complete a BGEN in English lit first as I'm aiming for a dual major and the sheer volume of novels I had to power through was eye watering.

Cheers
    Phil
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I never think I want a brown guitar but I am wrong, they always look good. I like the new look. Good luck with the study, applying for enrolment in further education myself 🤦

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9