Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Offset Semi-scratch Thingamajig.

It’s looking great! I like the idea of aluminium scratch plate, always wanted to do engine turning finish. I am glad that I’m not the only impatient one! I have started writing stuff down now as ideas occur at odd times and then I can’t wait to get on with it. I must improve my accuracy and long term thought process though!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of sending emails to myself. As I do the majority of my work that way. I can flag 'ideas' as different colours and have them sitting there for when I can do something with them.

The ones after a big night out are usually a lot less profound in the morning lol.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

3. Liked by: wazkelly

A *quiet* dust extraction system would be top of my list if the rich relative I don't have left me all their money. And a workshop with no dust traps...
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Aluminum Scratch plate about 90% of the way there. Some fine tuning and polishing to come. Definitely think it was the right choice.

King Casey will be happy to see I've spread the pickups out a bit more, meaning there is some more cavity routing to do for the humbucker.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    A *quiet* dust extraction system would be top of my list if the rich relative I don't have left me all their money. And a workshop with no dust traps...
    Given the amount of dust I raised last evening with the band saw, it’s too of my potential FrankenLab purchases as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Yeah I actually moved my table router outside this time, was much better than getting dust over everything.

I'm just messing around with various bits and pieces I have on hand. I actually don't mind this, even though gold hardware is not typically my style. Might need some work to mount the trapeze straight and with a decent break angle for the strings...

Maybe if I get some gold tuners and swap on some of the chrome bits I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Yeah I actually moved my table router outside this time, was much better than getting dust over everything.

I'm just messing around with various bits and pieces I have on hand. I actually don't mind this, even though gold hardware is not typically my style. Might need some work to mount the trapeze straight and with a decent break angle for the strings...

Maybe if I get some gold tuners and swap on some of the chrome bits I have.....
    Mm, that’s already looking the business.
    Lovely work as always

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab

It would be a shame to interrupt that lovely curve with a step for the trapeze, I can’t see how else you can fit it. Perhaps cut the step, fit the trapeze , then put the cut piece back so restoring the curve. I think that I would go string through though to best present the wood

Quote Originally Posted by impala59 View Post
    It would be a shame to interrupt that lovely curve with a step for the trapeze, I can’t see how else you can fit it. Perhaps cut the step, fit the trapeze , then put the cut piece back so restoring the curve. I think that I would go string through though to best present the wood
    the only way I can see that trap working is a custom bent hinge plate. If anyone can manage it, Sonic would be the guy.
    FrankenLab

Thanks Guys. Comes down somewhat to using what I have here rather than buying new bits. I was thinking I could 3d print a block to sit between the body and the trapeze to get it to line up and avoid cutting into the body. Still might go with the regular stop tail, not sure yet.

A few other jobs done, I extended the pool route to accommodate the humbuckers new position.

I also made up a pretty sketchy rig using my template to cut the neck pocket at an angle. Currently at between 2.5/3 degrees, which looks to be enough. It's still reasonably shallow, so I can adjust it a bit if needed. But I think this looks pretty close. I have to dowl the existing bolt holes in the neck and mount it up properly, then I can position the bridge and see how it looks before I drill post holes.

Also made a start on the forearm and belly carves. This wood is like concrete, harder than the Deluxester for sure. One day I might use something a bit more practical for scratch building.

I'm using 40grit emery in the powersander and it barely moves any material so could be quite the long haul for sanding.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast