Thread: Ground to bridge

Exclamation

Well, that was a total waste of $325. The GRSF1 is now a pile of splinters in the rubbish bin. Never again. Over and out.
    Last edited by michaelgard; 21-10-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Not being sure what type of bridge you're talking about but talking specifically about tune-o-matic bridges, I only ever drill a hole from the pickup cavity to on of the post holes and poke the ground wire through with plenty of exposed wire, then knock the bushing in. Being a firm fit, you're guaranteed a constant contact between wire and bushing. Not sure if that's the preferred way, but never had a problem doing this.

Oops. You edited while I was replying to your original question. Sorry to hear that.

Not sure what sort of guitar you are working on. On most guitars you don't need to solder the ground wire to the bridge. You strip the end, and put the exposed copper in a place where it will be in contact with the bridge once installed. On a Gibson style bridge generally the contact is to one of the ferrules that holds the bridge posts. If there is no hole you'll need to drill one either to the pickup cavity or the control cavity. If you have Fender hard tail style bridge it's easier. There should be a hole under the bridge. You just put the exposed wire flat against body somewhere under the bridge and screw the bridge down.

An exception to the "no solder" rule is when the wire is going to a strat trem claw... Here's a video about how to do that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-1lFKoJeZw

Another possible exception is the Tele bridge. If there is a brass plate on the bottom of the bridge pup, the bridge may be grounded already. The brass plate will be soldered to the shield wire for the pup, and the bridge will be grounded by the three screws for the pup.

Quote Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
    Oops. You edited while I was replying to your original question. Sorry to hear that.
    I seem to have been replying at the same time. What the heck happened?

I guess he never took Dingobass's mantra of "There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins..." on board.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

If I threw away every guitar I made a mistake on, I'd have the grand total of three guitars, and they would be the three commercially built guitars I bought.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah wow, I'm late here so I didn't see the original post, but there is nothing that can't be fixed or worked around in my experience.

Smashing it up seems like you are just spiteing yourself. Always better to walk away and come back fresh when there's been a boo boo, no matter how big.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

And if you are going to take such drastic action, then we need photo's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/