Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Firebird pup

The kit itself is often the cheapest part. Unless you keep them stock, it's very easy to spend a lot of money on them. Surprising how quickly it all adds up.
    Ain't that the truth!
    I have a number of expensive cheap guitars!!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I have some of Mr Fabulous' Firebird pups - they really are great, and quite affordable, in the big scheme of things. I have a pair in a Strat clone, and love the fact they're close enough to single coil tone (particularly when turned down a bit on the guitar), but are more likely to push an amp than a standard single coil, when flat out.
    I'm sure his Neil pups would be spot on - and he can make them potted or unpotted if you want.

Probably too little too late, but I'll post anyway...

This eBay Seller offers overwound mini HB's for Firebirds (or LP). Overwound Mini for LP or FB
    I bought a pair of Filtertron-style pickups from them a couple of years ago and they were really good sounding and good value.
    FWIW, they're made in S. Korea.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Most people (if they are anything like me) will be looking for lower output Alnico V pickups to replace the ceramic pickups in their modern Firebirds, not even hotter ceramics (though there will be those that would do that). It's on my 'to do' list. Seymour Duncan have that great big embossed SD logo on their standard Alnico Firebird pickups, meaning that their only 'plain' ones are the distressed (and much more expensive) Antiquities. Not easy to find non-boutique vintage-style Firebird pups from other makers.

Edited with new info:

Mr Fabulous Firebird pups are made to original 60s Firebird specs, (including being unpotted, which I had forgotten) - I think they read about 9-10k
    Here's his Firebird pickup webpage: https://mrfabulous.com.au/index.php?...product_id=275

I also found his page with his dedicated Neil Young set:
    https://mrfabulous.com.au/index.php?...product_id=277
    Last edited by HarmonIser; 03-12-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: new info

By the time I’ve added shipping to the UK and then duty and tax, I’m looking at £170 or so, just over AU$300. Not quite as attractive as if I were in Australia. I’ll think about them as it’s not a priority at the moment.

And I can get some Creamery Firebird pickups in the UK for £140. I've got some other Creamerys and they were good. Except Jaime is overrun with orders at the moment. But I can wait.

Confirmed with Jaime from Creamery that I'll be ordering a set of Firebird pickups from him when his next stock of parts arrives mid-January.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2