Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Gms-7z

Thanks Simon, will do. Next time I値l mask up, didn稚 think it would bleed so far

I used linseed for the first few coats and then crimson finishing oil

How long since the last coat went on? I'd certainly let it dry well (several days) before gluing.

Oh really!! Ok well last one went on yesterday so I値l wait a week or so.

I was going to do it tomorrow lol,

I値l take it into work where it has an excellent extraction system so hopefully that will help dry it out for the next week

So I知 wanting to add a push pull for coil split in this guitar, I have bought one of the CTS pots from six string supplies and I知 just looking over the wiring diagram on their site, they say I need to identify the respective start and finish wires of each coil. Does anyone know what that means or how to identify this?
    https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/...ull-pot-wiring

You only need to add a ground to the middle pair of wires, so you don't need to do any identifying.

You'll normally have a wire (normally green on the kit pups) that's twisted together with the cable braid screen and soldered together. That's your normal signal ground.

There will be a single wire that's your normal signal hot connection that goes to the volume pot (normally black on the kit pups).

There will be two wires twisted and soldered together. These are the two middle wires joining the coils together (normally red and white on the kit pups). These are left unconnected (and the ends insulated) if you just want a humbucker, but are taken to the switch connection to be taken to ground for a coil split function.

I say 'normal colours' because I don't know if these pickups come from the same generic factory as the other kit pickups and there is no universal pickup wiring colour convention. Normally red, white, black and green (plus a braid screen) are the individual wire cable colours, but they get connected to coils in all different ways by different manufacturers. But unless they all come unconnected and loose (which makes things a lot harder if there's no colour guide), there is normally a measure of pre-soldering with the ground + braid wire soldered together, the two coil joining wires soldered together and the single signal output wire.

Thanks for this, just had a look at the pickups and the wires are exactly how you describe so should be all good, fingers crossed!

So here goes! fingers crossed!

i've triple checked the length and angle and they all line up, the pickup fits in (just)

hopefully i've put enough glue in, i followed Simons instructions, used a paintbrush and only a tiny bit squeezed out, so we will see tomorrow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	37780

so ive installed the pickups and ive just noticed that the neck pickup is a little off, the poles dont line up with where the string goes, i think the routing is at a slight different angle, will this matter much or is it something that i should worry about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065 (1).jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	37852

Slightly off shouldn't make any difference except cosmetically. The magnetic field from a humbucker is spread out wider than that of a single coil, so you can normally be a long way out before you notice a drop off in output. But it doesn't look like the pole pieces will miss a string completely, and just be offset by a little.

My only concern here is that the pickups have no adjustable pole pieces, so you can't adjust the string to string balance. But that is generally more noticeable when playing clean than when driven.

It looks like there is a mm or so of spacing around the pickup bobbins which should allow some movement, so it should be possible to enlarge the pickup cavity slightly where the baseplate and legs touch the sides (stopping fully correct positioning) but just undercutting the top, so that the top of the rout remains unchanged in appearance and you don't need to worry about the finish being damaged. A small sanding drum or other abrasive bit in a Dremel would be ideal for this, though a small chisel could also be used. Don't forget to mask the top first if you do this to prevent damage.

Paint the inside of the routs black, and you'll never see any of the extra cutaway.

Hi,

Im building this kit as well and had some thought about the pickups.

On mine too, the neck pup poles are poorly aligned. Lurking the forum, i didn't find a post talking about the sonic quality of the pickups in this kit.

But i don't think they are good pups and having the high and low strings slightly off surely won't help.

Some guys talked about adapting another pickups to the 16ー baseplate but it must be done with rails pickups, otherwise strings spacing gonna be an issue.

I guess the first builder who finish the guitar will add more info on this subject.

BTW: the natural finish you've done looks awesome.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast