Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Strange problem with volume control

I wouldn't use it on any gig, besides it doesn't have the length, but for around the house it's O.K.
    Actually have 3 more sitting around as spares.

You could still solder another plug onto that Planet Waves lead Simon.

FWIW I've recently replaced the cabling on an old pair of Sennheiser headphones rather than chuck 'em in the bin.

Like new.

cheers, Mark.

Don't chuck that sacrificed lead Simon, my favourite silent right angle jack needs a new lead attached...
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

That Planet Waves lead never gets used because it’s got their awful sprung jacks on the end. There was so much equipment they simply didn’t work with, giving no sound, whereas a standard jack design did. It wasn’t the jack plug that needed improving, it was the jack socket, which Pure Tone have done (at least for the open chassis type). It was also a fairly short lead, bought for PA rack linking purposes at about 8’ long, not long enough to be a useful guitar lead.

The kit leads could be used for lower impedance circuits, say connecting a synth up to a line input on a mixer or audio interface, as the signal strength is a lot higher, so any noise pickup is of a much lower amplitude compared to the signal level, and the lower impedance circuitry is less prone to picking up noise to start with.

I've kept the two that I got, but I only use them for things like for switching. One is currently connected to the start/stop pedal for my drum machine. Works fine for that sort of thing. Would never use it as a "guitar lead" though.

I guess we've successfully hijacked brokenstick's thread!

I wonder how he's going with that wonky volume pot????
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hopefully he's either found a dodgy connection or he's gone down the pot replacement route.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Hopefully he's either found a dodgy connection or he's gone down the pot replacement route.
    I'm still here - haven't done anything yet, but enjoying the conversation.

I am waiting for a new nut to arrive, will then take the strings off and check the electrics at the same time. Complete aside, but the nut that came on the neck was way too high, but glued and wedged in to within an inch of its life, so the only way to get it off was to destroy it. I was going to make one but then bought a $4 one off ebay, and waiting for that (mail delivery in Melbourne ATM is a lottery). I am currently using a threaded bolt as a nut cigar box style
    Not sure why they don't include the nut separately rather than gluing it in.
    Now I just hijacked my own thread!

Quote Originally Posted by brokenstick View Post
    Now I just hijacked my own thread!
    We’ve all been there! Sometimes I even hijack my own builds.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2