Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ib-4

Ib-4

Hi

Im nearly done with this bass, i've wired up Seymour Duncan pickups but the routing is much bigger than the pickups, i've tried to make my own frames from a blank pickguard but its incredibly difficult to get perfect as i cant find anyone that has them made for these dimensions.

i tried to get them laser cut but apparently the laser cutting wont work well with the pick-guard material.

i thought of getting them 3d printed but apparently they need a CAD drawing, (which i'm unable to do) i'm sure its a simple job if your in the know.

Does anyone know of what i could do to make these frames?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3979.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	37594

Unless you go really high end 3d printing tends to a textured effect which would not IMHO match up to the standard of the rest of the instrument. Are these covers/surrounds just going to be flat? If so, and as you don't have another pickguard to match the material to, why don't you get the frames made in a material that will laser cut readily?
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yes, pickguard material is usually PVC which creates a hydrochloric acid vapor when you laser cut it. What you can do is get an mdf template laser cut and then using it with a table router/follow bearing bit.

3D printing is not that difficult, but Jim is right regarding the texture - however, it can be very easily filled and smoothed and if you are using PLA then Rustoleum actually bonds to the plastic and is very high wearing. I've done a few bits and pieces with my printer. I can do the required drawing/printing, but I would need really good measurements to work from.

Happy to have a go if you can supply some details.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Here is an idea from way afield. Have you thought about removing the pickups....masking off the pickup routs....then mask in a fine border up on top of the body up tight around the pickup rout.

Then either completely mask the top of the guitar....or use the lid of a spray paint can and a fine artist brush.

Then either spray, or brush, a black finish of your choice....matt...semi gloss...full gloss....in and around the edges of the pickup routs and then up the side and around the thin masked edge.

Let it dry and see what you think....perhaps a coat or two of gloss clear....or even some gloss spray poly over the top to seal it in.

Just a thought.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Yes, pickguard material is usually PVC which creates a hydrochloric acid vapor when you laser cut it. What you can do is get an mdf template laser cut and then using it with a table router/follow bearing bit.

3D printing is not that difficult, but Jim is right regarding the texture - however, it can be very easily filled and smoothed and if you are using PLA then Rustoleum actually bonds to the plastic and is very high wearing. I've done a few bits and pieces with my printer. I can do the required drawing/printing, but I would need really good measurements to work from.

Happy to have a go if you can supply some details.
    Hi, thanks for that, yes that would be fantastic if you could do the drawing for us. Im sure its like a 5 min job if you know what your doing, i did try an online 3d programme online but couldn't manage to do it

The measurements i'm working with are
    120mm x 45mm Outer dimensions
    90mm x 38mm Inside dimensions
    around 2.5 - 3mm thickness (what do you think is better for 3d printing)
    would be a bonus if the outside corners were rounded off
    1mm hole in the centre on the edge at the top and bottom

Thanks a lot! thats really appreciated!!

As a headsup I was just talking to a local engineering shop about making a custom stainless steel control plate for a project I'm working on, and they said, sure, we can do that with our water jet cutting rig. I wonder if that would be suitable for pickguard material.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Barry snook View Post
    Hi, thanks for that, yes that would be fantastic if you could do the drawing for us. Im sure its like a 5 min job if you know what your doing, i did try an online 3d programme online but couldn't manage to do it

The measurements i'm working with are
    120mm x 45mm Outer dimensions
    90mm x 38mm Inside dimensions
    around 2.5 - 3mm thickness (what do you think is better for 3d printing)
    would be a bonus if the outside corners were rounded off
    1mm hole in the centre on the edge at the top and bottom

Thanks a lot! thats really appreciated!!
    No worries, I'll have a look and post up a screen shot to make sure it's what you are after. I have a fairly busy start to the week but should be able to slot it in somewhere.

Ok This is what I have to those dimensions. I'm a bit confused about the 1mm hole in the centre? What is that for?

Anyway. If you PM me your email address, I'll send a 2d PDF of the basic shape. If you print that out at 100% scaling, you should be able to carefully cut it out and check it's going to fit. It's a good idea to have about an extra mm around anything it needs to fit onto as when printed it may be slightly smaller due to heat deformation. Usually can be corrected with some sandpaper and patience.

But if all good, then I'll print it out for you and pop it in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Ok This is what I have to those dimensions. I'm a bit confused about the 1mm hole in the centre? What is that for?

Anyway. If you PM me your email address, I'll send a 2d PDF of the basic shape. If you print that out at 100% scaling, you should be able to carefully cut it out and check it's going to fit. It's a good idea to have about an extra mm around anything it needs to fit onto as when printed it may be slightly smaller due to heat deformation. Usually can be corrected with some sandpaper and patience.

But if all good, then I'll print it out for you and pop it in the mail.

WOW that looks fantastic! just tried to PM but looks like you inbox is full
    Last edited by Barry snook; 11-11-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Oh cheers, have cleaned out my messages now. Will shoot thru shortly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast