Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Couldn't resist making a start on the ST-1

Hey Guys! Thanks for the response!

It's actually an ash body! Not basswood, which I am now learning the hard way is a bit more involved than the old basswood haha.

I'm thinking with this one I may just get a wax finish and leave it natural. Maybe bash it up a bit for a "relic" feel. Then take it as a lesson for the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I would usually agree with the statement, but having a closer look at that body photo (open in new tab and zoom) and there is some significant open grain grain on that IMO. Certainly the most open I've seen on basswood.
    Yes - I didn't look closely enough. I haven't made a guitar with a basswood body (yet), so don't really know what to expect. Edit: Ah, it's Ash.

I guess that really leaves a key decision, JD - do you want a completely level finish or are you happy for the grain texture to show through?

If you're OK with the grain texture, then you can just go ahead and finish. There are a few production guitars (I think Gibson's "faded" finish, for example) that show the grain, though probably more for a satin finish than a gloss. Either way, jf you don't like the result, you can always sand it back.

If you do want a level finish, then as McCreed says, you'll need to apply your clear coat until it's thick enough to fill in the texture. I have done this with Tru Oil with good results, though it can take very many coats depending in the surface.

Another option might be to try Feast Watson Sanding Sealer. I have used this on mahogany and ash to fill in the pores with good results, though I did so before staining. You could always try it, and if you don't like the results, you're back to sanding again ;-) One or two coats of that will fill in your pores, and I don't think it'll change your colour much. Then you can apply your finish of choice over the top, depending on compatibility. Again, Tru Oil over sanding sealer works well.

To support Jon's comments, I have trialed FW sanding sealer over stain and it did a great job. Just have to be careful not to sand through to the stain when levelling.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Oh that's a good idea! I never thought about using a sanding sealer! Damn. Looks like another trip to Bunnings it is... What a shame...

Also, where about do I get Tru Oil from? I've heard some very good things about that, and also tung oil. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This certainly gives me a few things to try!

Pitbull sell it, but they're out of stock at the moment. I bought my Tru Oil from Ebay seller ozgunmart. 240ml for $40. The smaller bottle might not cut it ;-)

Yes, ash, that makes sense. Also what I was thinking though I didn't mention in my last post.

Also, where about do I get Tru Oil from?
    As Jon said, ebay or do a search for local gun shops and see if they stock it. It was originally intended for finishing gun stocks.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2