Thread: First build: TB-4 bass

First build: TB-4 bass

I bought this for myself for Christmas 2019, and have only just gotten around to getting started on it.

This is my first build, but I have fluffed around with guitar and bass electronics, and helped with other builds.
    I also own:
    - old Samick 4-string PJ style; my first bass.
    - Ibanez SR500; my go-to bass.
    - ESP LTD B-115DX 5-string, which doesn't get much play these days.

Love the Thunderbird shape, and looking forward to the passive humbuckers.

I've opened the box, and am doing a mock build.

The neck is a really snug fit in the neck pocket. I'm concerned that once the body and neck have their respective finishes, that it will be too tight a fit.
    Should I be sanding out the sides of the neck pocket, or is a tight fit good?

Welcome!

Snug is usually good. You might consider taping off the inside of the neck pocket so that it doesn't get finish. It certainly doesn't need much finish.

Should be a fun build!

Hi Danw,
    I have a TB-4 put aside for Christmas. I also love the TB shape. I'm not a bass player though. I'm currently working on the FB. My goal is to make a pigeon pair.
    How are you intending to do the finish?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

There’s normally some slight wood movement caused by temp and humidity changes during shipping, especially airfreight, so it’s best not to do any changes or sanding to the neck area until you’ve had the kit acclimatising at home for a couple of weeks. After that is the time to decide whether you may benefit from some light sanding. But a neck doesn’t need a great amount of finish on it, especially on the sides of the heel area where it’s going to be well protected so you can always simply apply less finish in that area. As Fender3x says, snug is good, so you need to be careful with any sanding that ‘snug’ doesn’t turn into ‘loose’.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    How are you intending to do the finish?
    Hi Trevor!
    I intend to oil the neck (maple) and fretboard (rosewood) and paint the body and headstock face a solid colour (possibly a warm retro-ish yellow).

The body grain is kinda nice, so I did consider a oil/clearish finish on that too, but the joins in the pieces of the body could look a bit odd given the steps in the face of the body, given the Thunderbird shape, so I reckon a solid colour will look better.

Cool, thanks for that feedback.

In that case, I think it'll be just right, if I don't apply too much finish to the inside faces of the neck pocket.