Hi all,

I've just had a go at applying a decal, and failed miserably. I don't know if I've got the process wrong, or whether I've used the wrong finish.

I printed the decal in reverse on waterslide decal paper, then sprayed with a coat of Dulux gloss clear acrylic paint. Once dry, I soaked in water and applied "inkside down" to the headstock (which was finished with Tru Oil several weeks ago.) So far so good, though I did have a little smudging. Left over night, then sprayed several coats of the paint.

Looking pretty good now, but then I went to tidy up around the edge of the headstock where I had masked it off, and basically the whole thing just peeled off, finish decal and all.

So, is my process wrong, or have I just used the wrong finish? Should I just be using Tru Oil over the decal, given the headstock was finished in TO? Trouble is I've finished my bottle of TO, and don't really want to buy/open another one just for the decal. It means I'd have to buy another guitar to use the rest of the bottle ;-)

Cheers,

Jon