Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Multiscale kits

Multiscale kits

Can't say I expected those to pop up, I ordered a flame maple one on impulse even though I didn't want another kit until one or both of my EX's get finished.

I was thinking that it might be worth mentioning the parallel fret in the specs. I honestly can't tell which it is from the picture, it's kind of trippy. At first I thought it was the 9th fret, then the 12th, now back to 9th. The flame veneer kit also says "GMS-7Z" in the subtitle instead of GMS-7F.

Other than that, multiscale kits. Cool!
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Huh, that is interesting. Keen to try out playing one at some point. I know that I struggle with 7 strings so these kits probably aren't for me.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Huh, that is interesting. Keen to try out playing one at some point. I know that I struggle with 7 strings so these kits probably aren't for me.
    I can't get my head (or fingers) around six strings so 6+ strings or weird frets are definitely not for this little black duck.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

I'm keen as to try one of these kits out. Whether it's at the top of my list is debatable, but it's a very tempting Xmas wishlist item.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The slanted pickups don't give many options for upgrades, short of a few custom made pickups that really aren't at all cheap. Those offset mounting tabs also make it impossible to mount conventional 7-string pickups in at an angle. I'd personally suggest a rethink on those unless someone can come up with a reasonably-priced set of replacements.

After building a 7-string already I can say I am interested in a multi-scale but I am actually thinking about a scratch build 8-string. As they say go big or go home.

This will probably be next spring in the US as I have 2 kit builds in process and 2 more planned.

The pickup thing is something I thought about. Will probably require something custom or modded to replace the stock ones.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

There are some forums out there specifically dedicated to 7, 8, and 9 string players and they would know what is available. While I did not look into the pickups, when I looked into multi scale guitars I saw a wide variety of pickups from less well known manufacturers.

I've seen one Italian make of angled pickups, and they were about €310 for a set (roughly £280/AUD$510/US$360), but you'd need to know what angle the kit pickups were, as there seems to be several, which will limit choice still further. DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan make a lot of 7- and 8-string pickups, but they are all standard pattern units. OK, they aren't the cheapest pickups available, but they'd certainly be about 2/3 of that. Very few budget brands do straight 7-string pickups, let alone angled ones. Artec, kent Armstrong and Warman do a few standard 7s, but not GFS, Tonerider or IronGear.

If the guitar kit is otherwise good, then it seems a shame not to be able to fit decent but affordable pickups into it, as I doubt the kit pickups are anything but passable.

When you head into that world it's just different. Nothing is cheap and it's harder to find.

The kit looked cool though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast