Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Nuts, more nuts, and string spacing gauges

I am about to start cutting a nut from a "raw" bone blank for my flamenco guitar. It's a lot like a classical guitar. Same basic shape, flat fingerboard, etc.* From a setup standpoint, the biggest difference is the action. Flamencos have a much faster action, and are often a bit buzzy. The action on mine is way lower than any classical I have seen...but I confess that I have not ever held or played another flamenco guitar, so I don't have much of a standard for comparison.

With normal playing there are no buzzes on any but the low E string when fretted (or capo'd) at the the 1st fret. With a capo at the first fret, there is .007 clearance between the high E string and the 2nd fret. All the other strings appear to have .009 clearance at the 2nd fret. The exception being the low E, which only has clearance of about .002. It's the only string with a buzz when capo'd, so I want to raise it just a hair.

I have read a number different things about setting up a Flamenco:

1) Set it with the same clearance over the first fret that it has when over the 2nd fret when capo'd at the first.
    2) Set it up exactly like a classical, because the action is set at the bridge not the nut.
    3) Set it up by feel. (Not viable in my case since I don't have any feel.)
    4) Set it up with the "third fret" method using a piece of paper to slide under the first fret with the 3rd fret capo'd.

Would welcome any thoughts! Left to my own devices I'll probably try to combine methods 1 and 4. I'll also probably use a bit of the "Barden method" and have a couple of additional nut blanks handy in case I mess it up.

*I thought this was a classical guitar for years. I got it in trade from a buddy with small hands, who found it uncomfortable to play. It has a sticker inside from a local luthier...but I have never found the guy and don't know if he still exists. I always thought it was a "first attempt" by a local luthier, because it has a poplar back and sides with occasional knots and big green streaks. There are also some visible tool marks and some improvised looking wood choices in the heel. But I loved the low action and volume. I also liked the spruce top and shellac finish. I thought these were idiosyncrasies, and did not realize that the action, volume and spruce top were all characteristics of a flamenco guitar.

I have a little more time than I thought to decide on a method. The nut blanks that I have are all 52mm wide. This is also the width of the pre-cut nut I just got from Amazon... Unfortunately, the width of the current nut is 53.4mm.

Took some shopping, but I finally found oversized blanks at Amplified Parts in Arizona. More sanding than I had hoped for, but at least they exist!

More sanding than I had hoped for, but at least they exist!
    A flat file will get the job done quicker. Then switch to sandpaper once you have the size roughed in to <.5mm.
    Same with profiling the top.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

What about a new saddle? If the bottom E is buzzing when capo’d, then a new nut won’t fix that. You’ve either got a high fret end or one end of the saddle is too low or the neck has a twist in it (or some combination of those).

A file is a good idea.

I can take a better look at the saddle when I have the strings off. It looks OK with them on, and the neck appears straight enough. There is, however, a chip missing from the nut where the low E string meets it that is definitely suspicious.

So it definitely needs the nut. Of course the bridge is the same age, and probably quality and material, as the nut. Might be a good idea to order a bridge blank too....

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    What about a new saddle? If the bottom E is buzzing when capo’d, then a new nut won’t fix that. You’ve either got a high fret end or one end of the saddle is too low or the neck has a twist in it (or some combination of those).
    Fretted or capo'd there are no buzzes except at the first fret on the low E. Even on the low E there are no buzzes when fretted at the 2nd fret or higher. So I am thinking it's a high fret end. It's not severe, though. I'll try taking the end down a hair. If that does not work... I am ordering a bone bridge just in case. I waited until today for the nut blanks to arrive. The description didn't tell me whether the nuts would be bleached or natural, but their weren't many choices. Now that they have arrived, I can get a matching saddle for if need be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4