Thread: Anyone got a spare humbucker surround?

Anyone got a spare humbucker surround?

So I was just putting the finishing touches on my GS-2Q when I realised (no doubt due to my custom pick up choices), I don't have any pick up surrounds. I've ordered a set off ebay, except the bridge one is way too tall. The neck one fits my bridge pick up just nicely, so I figured another neck one should do the trick nicely.

Except no one wants to sell me one: I've got to buy another complete set.
    I figured a community of guitar builders might be a decent place to harvest spare parts.

I'm after a black one, Asian/non-Gibson specs, no taller than 5mm. Pref metal to plastic.

Too tall to sand down to the right height? Easy with plastic but obviously harder with metal rings. I’d use double sided tape to stick it to a block of wood, which will make it a lot easier to sand as the sides are so flexible otherwise. I’ve done that in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Too tall to sand down to the right height? Easy with plastic but obviously harder with metal rings. I’d use double sided tape to stick it to a block of wood, which will make it a lot easier to sand as the sides are so flexible otherwise. I’ve done that in the past.
    Yeah it's metal. You had me contemplating it for a moment, but then I remembered:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patrick.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	37477

Quote Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
    So I was just putting the finishing touches on my GS-2Q when I realised (no doubt due to my custom pick up choices), I don't have any pick up surrounds. I've ordered a set off ebay, except the bridge one is way too tall. The neck one fits my bridge pick up just nicely, so I figured another neck one should do the trick nicely.

Except no one wants to sell me one: I've got to buy another complete set.
    I figured a community of guitar builders might be a decent place to harvest spare parts.

I'm after a black one, Asian/non-Gibson specs, no taller than 5mm. Pref metal to plastic.
    Hi mate, I've got one here that is surplus to my needs. Black, metal, Asian. It's 2.66mm thick measured thru the plastic.

Shoot me a PM if you rekon this would work for you.

Looks like it might do the trick. Has it got a flat bottom or curved bottom?
    Need one with a curved bottom *cue the innuendo*

Quote Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
    Looks like it might do the trick. Has it got a flat bottom or curved bottom?
    Need one with a curved bottom *cue the innuendo*
    Sorry mate, it's flat. No curves here