Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Build - Les Paul

2nd Build - Les Paul

Hey everyone.

This is my second build, and I am learning lots. My first build was under the supervision of talented craftsmen, and this one I'm doing myself. There have been some mistakes, as seen in the pickup cavities where the router got away from me, but nothing that I can't fix later.

Going with a Les Paul body, but going with a flat top. Body is made from black walnut and epoxy resin. Using a PGB-N4RB neck that I attacked with a butane torch to give it some colour. Planning to use all black hardware and finish with some high yield finishing oil from Crimson Guitars.

Always open to constructive feedback and suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Are you planning to shape the top of the headstock? That flat paddle look just screams out ‘kit guitar’ to me, and as your body looks nice, it’s worth putting some time into the headstock.

I'm thinking about it, but haven't landed on a design yet. Still filling pages with potential designs until I find one I like.

No pics yet (hopefully by the weekend), but I think I have a plan for the headstock. I think rather than shaping it, I'm going to go with a strip of scrap walnut down the middle. That should give it a little depth, and tie the charred maple neck to the walnut body. I can't come up with a shape that I like, so I think this will help break it up a bit.

I’d really urge you to do something with it, even if you just cut it down a bit as it is just a bit to long to give a balanced look. Standard open book works for most people, but keep it straight if you want to.

I'm no fan of the open book, but I agree it looks a little unbalanced. Are you planning any kind of logo or other decoration beyond the tuners? If not it would certainly be worth considering an inch off the end.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

I am planning on adding a logo to it that would fill the top, but I could probably still trim it up.

Well, it isn't perfect, but it's done. Need to polish the frets, brand my logo into the headstock (waiting for the brand to arrive), and throw some strings on, and it will be good to go. I'm actually going to be auctioning this one off in support of my local children's hospital, so hopefully it goes to a good home. Thanks for the support everyone!

Not sure if those BBCodes worked, as I had to type them by hand. Work computer is being stupid. Here are the links if they didn't work.
    https://imgur.com/jpiZyTk
    https://imgur.com/JC246I4
    https://imgur.com/ToLTpdw
    Last edited by cadebengert; 07-10-2020 at 11:50 PM.

Two of your pictures (you are linking to the page, not the image). The middle link isn't working for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast