Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Build IC-1

Thank you McCreed,

Like you, I got a bottle of this stuff around 1995 when I bought my Les Paul. I'm pretty sure it's still in a flight case with some left in the bottle:

It might just do me for another 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamjohnston80 View Post
    Thank you McCreed,

Like you, I got a bottle of this stuff around 1995 when I bought my Les Paul. I'm pretty sure it's still in a flight case with some left in the bottle:

It might just do me for another 20 years.
    I had a look online and the O'Cedar product I have is no longer available as "Revive" but the company has just renamed it as O'Cedar Furniture Polish Liquid.

You can get a 300ml bottle at Coles for $8 which would last at least 6 lifetimes I'm sure! The main ingredient in both is 99.9% Mineral Oil (or what we call Parrafin Oil). Presumably the other .1% is colour & fragrance.

Name:  O'Cedar.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  24.1 KB
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

That's awesome thank you. I'll pick up a bottle the next time I do the dreaded "big shop."

It's certainly more economical than $15 for 50ml of Dunlop Lemon Oil.

You could portion it into little bottles and give it your guitar mates for Christmas and still have plenty for yourself!
    Label it as "Graham's Fretboard Magic".

Great idea - and could be another use for the 10 A4 sheets of decal paper that I bought!!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    My point is I had no trouble like you're describing. My finish came out perfectly flat and even along the frets.
    I would suggest that you may be applying it too thick. Also, if you're only wiping in a lengthwise direction only, that will cause the frets to dam the liquid. You need to wipe the fretboard area between the frets both lengthwise and crossways to alleviate the pooling. After wiping in the cross direction, just be sure to clean up any build up along the fretboard edge so not to create runs or sags on the back of the neck.
    Yes, true. I have since wiped and sanded off the mess I had made of it, and started again with very thin coats of TO, and it's working much better. I think I'm used to TO being fairly forgiving in its application (i.e. you usually can apply it fairly liberally where required) but this is one use case where it requires more care.

Question Scraping Binding

Quick question??

When to scrape the binding? I masked the binding before staining and I intend to finish with a few coats of Tru-oil. Do I leave the masking on and apply the tru oil? OR Remove masking tape, scrape binding then apply tru-oil?

Same goes for the neck - I have applied a few coats of tru oil and now wondering if I should take the masking tape off for the subsequent coats?? I'm thinking that the tru oil over the binding may blend to a smoother finish

Quote Originally Posted by grahamjohnston80 View Post
    Quick question??

When to scrape the binding? I masked the binding before staining and I intend to finish with a few coats of Tru-oil. Do I leave the masking on and apply the tru oil? OR Remove masking tape, scrape binding then apply tru-oil?

Same goes for the neck - I have applied a few coats of tru oil and now wondering if I should take the masking tape off for the subsequent coats?? I'm thinking that the tru oil over the binding may blend to a smoother finish

Remove the tape, scrape the binding, then top coat with Tru-Oil, poly etc.

However be sure there's no adhesive residue left behind before you start your Tru-Oil. A tiny bit of naptha (shellite) on a bit of rag will safely remove it and not affect the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Remove the tape, scrape the binding, then top coat with Tru-Oil, poly etc.

However be sure there's no adhesive residue left behind before you start your Tru-Oil. A tiny bit of naptha (shellite) on a bit of rag will safely remove it and not affect the binding.
    Thank you again McCreed!!

Neck progress

So I took the masking tape off the fretboard and binding on the neck. Cleaned up the residue with a drop of Shellite. Will add another few coats of Tru-oil (I put 6 on already) and see how it goes. All looking okay so far.

Before:

And after:

...and the 25 year-old bottle of fretboard conditioner:

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast