Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Build IC-1

Don't know if its the angle I'm looking at but the high E seems to be closer to the edge of the neck then the low?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodc View Post
    Don't know if its the angle I'm looking at but the high E seems to be closer to the edge of the neck then the low?
    I think that the first photo was taken at a wonky angle, I think it looks better in this photo but maybe does need to come over just a touch:

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    It's great you got your half scale length spot on, but just remember the overall length is the critical measurement. Your 12th fret measurement can be 1mm long or short and can still intonate correctly when you're done. I always go by the full length measurement as my final target.

To my eye (could be different IRL) the neck alignment looks like the treble E could go a tiny smidge inward, but you're not gluing yet so not critical right now. At least you have an idea of the fit at this point and the alignment won't be an issue.

I agree that variations in timber are a consideration but FWIW, I've not had an issue using 400 before stain on Mahogony, Maple, Basswood or Ash. Maybe because I am light handed with it, or maybe I've just been lucky.

Worth noting that I've not encountered adhesion issues with the clear coat after either, but TBH most of the clear over stain I've done has been hand applied so that may make a difference there.
    Thank you for the advice. Someone else mentioned the treble E gap so I'll move it over a touch if it needs it, after some measuring.
    As for sanding and staining, I'll wait and see how that goes.
    Cheers,

Graham

Masking

Tonight I masked up the binding before sanding:

The closer I looked, the more glue spots I found:

and..

Neck Issue?

Hi,

I have spent the week happily sanding away, everything seems okay. Been double checking the neck alignment and noticed this bit that sticks out a few mm. The neck alignment and scale length were all good when I did the test fit last weekend (see pictures in previous post), just didn't notice the protrusion.

Any advice? I'm tempted just to sand it out making a smooth transition from neck to body. Please let me know if this sends up any red flags. Or do I just leave it? It just doesn't look right. I just didn't read anything about this in the manuals or haven't found it in the forum.

The neck is pretty tight to the other side:

and finally...

Thank you in advance.

Graham
    Last edited by grahamjohnston80; 28-11-2020 at 03:44 PM.

If you are happy with the overall neck alignment, then that's where the neck needs to go. Before making any decisions I'd first check on how well the drilled neck screw holes line up with the neck. If the neck position has been offset, then the two bass-side screws might end up very close to the side of the neck with a risk of splitting. From earlier photos, it doesn't appear to be the case, it just looks as it the factory took too much off that side of the body heel support. But worth checking now, just in case.

If doing a solid colour, then you could simply stick some veneer on to fill it in, but you aren't.

So I'd do what you've suggested and sand/file the edge down. In fact, I'd probably file and sand down the neck at that end so that there wasn't such a protruding long flat platform section (I have no idea why the factory do that). I did that on my two set-neck SGs. I'd suggest trying to sand that side of the neck and body heel down so they both had the same angle and blended in, as if purposely done to provide better upper fret access. See where the edge of the neck plate ends on that side and you can sand back from just a bit beyond that (if you wish). I think that would look better than just angling the edge of the neck so it was level at the bottom.

Thank you again Simon,

When I was happy with the alignment last week I marked the holes on the neck. This was the result, yes, a bit off to one side but hopefully not enough to cause a problem:

Glad to hear that this is not uncommon. The forums on here are great but it's tricky to find anything specific.
    More sanding it is then!!

Graham

I have no idea how they build these, but if they use a common neck, pickup and bridge post rout/drilling template (as everything lines up OK), then it looks to me as if it was placed 2-3mm too far to the treble side of the body. As well as the overhang, there is that funny unbound end section on the bass side of the neck pocket. But then that looks the same as the one in the PB site kit photo, including the offset neck holes. So if they are making them a bit wonky, then at least they are doing it consistently!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I have no idea how they build these, but if they use a common neck, pickup and bridge post rout/drilling template (as everything lines up OK), then it looks to me as if it was placed 2-3mm too far to the treble side of the body. As well as the overhang, there is that funny unbound end section on the bass side of the neck pocket. But then that looks the same as the one in the PB site kit photo, including the offset neck holes. So if they are making them a bit wonky, then at least they are doing it consistently!
    Consistent Wonkiness! That sounds like a plan for 2021!!

So, After a quick sand this is the result:

Before:

After:

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast