Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: JZ-6 Build No 7

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I am of the pro-SFG contingent. There are lots of variations within that family too. And then there's the whole seafoam vs surf discussion...

I do have a few questions about the paint though. I presume it is the Decoart Americana brand I see on the Spotlight website. As it is a water-based acrylic, what did you use for a primer, and what are you going to use for a clear?
    Also, in the photo, there appears to be what looks like a paint cup of a spray gun in the right of the frame. If I'm correct, why did you choose a brush?
    Lastly how was the coverage?

They have a pretty good range of colours. Looks like their Light Buttermilk could be close to Arctic White.
    Yes the paint is Decoart and I have used it before on a guitar build for my oldest son. I had based it on a youtube video I had seen in the past about painting with acrylic paints, Highline guitars I think, although he used a different paint. The good thing about Decoart is it will bond to just about any surface and I have found this to be true. Therefore there is no undercoat but 3 coats of paint and it builds up the colour nicely. The previous guitar I brushed on the paint as well. Yes I have spray gun capability but the acrylic paint is quite thick and would have to be thinned to spray. I found brushing to be OK previously as you can sand the final coat to smooth it out. Clear coat this time will be 2K Spray Max rattle can (my go to at the moment) previously was acrylic lacquer spray from a gun which was good but takes a lot of setup and makes quite a mess (overspray) in the shed and produces a lot of toxic vapours, which may just reflect my lack of knowledge how to spray properly.
    Build 1 AGM-1
    Build 2 TLA-1
    Build 3 ES-3
    Build 4 TL-12F
    Build 5 ST-1

Thanks for info Stan.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Attachment 37586
    hfkjfgjkfkhwekfhklew
    Yes, Man Glitter. that's exactly what I meant.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Finished at last

The new pickguard arrived and routed into shape using the template. Turned out OK not completely square but probably only obvious to me. Looks very old school and would be at home in the 60's. A good friend of mine came over to look at another one of my guitars and played the baritone and liked its unusual low sound. He thought he would like to record it as a solo instrument in the future. He is a very good guitar player. The bridge only just makes intonation on the low E string and I may buy a wilkinson tuneomatic bridge which allows for a wider range on saddles for intonation. The bridge appears to be slightly offset but i am not sure if that was meant or just a slight mis drilling of the bridge posts. Anyway I am happy with the "Sea Foam" colour and the new tortoise shell bridge and the quirkiness of the guitar. Oh I tuned it BEADF#B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JZ8.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	37766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JZ9.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	37767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JZ10.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	37768  
    Build 1 AGM-1
    Build 2 TLA-1
    Build 3 ES-3
    Build 4 TL-12F
    Build 5 ST-1

Looks good. The pick guard material matches well.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Yep that has a very sixties surf vibe to it, nice work!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Nice looking guitar. I agree the tortoise shell works really well. Good work.

The bridge appears to be slightly offset but i am not sure if that was meant or just a slight mis drilling of the bridge posts.
    It may just be the angle of the photo, but it looks to me like the neck alignment could shift a smidge toward the bass side.
    That would take the curse off a little bit at least.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3