Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guitar made from concrete.

Guitar made from concrete.

Melvyn Hiscock makes reference in his Guitar building tome to a guitar that was submitted to Gibson for evaluation. It was made from granite. Both that and this concrete effort solely intended for hard rock one assumes.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

A lot of you are probably asking how a guitar made of concrete sounds versus a guitar made of wood?

and honestly...I don't think it sounds any different.

Time to insert a discussion about layers of varnish deadening the resonance here.

cheers, Mark.
    Last edited by king casey; 12-09-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Time to insert a discussion about layers of varnish deadening the resonance here.

cheers, Mark.
    This.

You win the internet for today.

Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

I reckon this guitar made from concrete basically renders all those arguments about tone woods null and void, just listen to how nice it sounds.

Would be perfect for playing "Hard as a rock" by AC/DC......sorry, couldn't resist....lol.

Basic physics and the lack of a resonant cavity did that. Unfortunately not enough people study physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Basic physics and the lack of a resonant cavity did that. Unfortunately not enough people study physics.
    There is probably a difference.
    However not enough that the average player would notice, and certainly no audience member.

There's also a number of bells, whistles and baubles for sale to hang off your saxophone to 'enhance' the sound.
    The same result.

Snake oil gadgets to lure in the fools with more money than sense.

cheers, Mark.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    "Tone Wood" is 99% marketing mythology in a solid body electric. Acoustics are a very different story and I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes from.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

99% mythology seems a bit strong. There's no doubt that the whole body and neck of an electric guitar vibrates, you only have to press it against your ear. And the various parts of the instrument do have resonances. And because physics the vibration of the body affects the vibration of the strings, and so there must be a particular pattern of harmonics, overtones and so on that are attributable to the body and body material and the way it vibrates. But then the magnetism of the pickups also must affect how the strings behave, so there's a world of complication even before you get to everything involving electrical signals.

How much, well that's another question. I am, for instance, unconvinced that every piece of wood used in Fender's US factory is superior to every piece used in their Mexican and Japanese factories is superior to that used in Chinese factories. The very fact that the super keen collectors pay so much attention to provenance makes me doubt whether they can distinguish tone. The properties of individual pieces of wood must make a difference, and if that is the case it seems unlikely that an instrument which happens to get two of the best bits of wood in a Chinese factory is inferior to that which happens to get two of the worst bits of wood in an American one. Whether those differences are enough for the majority of listeners to distinguish is another matter.

I would be interested to see a blind test of say a dozen Stratocasters from various sources with identical electrics where people had to see if they could consistently distinguish one from another and rank them best to worst. Its certain some folk would have much better ability to distinguish tone than others. Blind tests I see on YouTube and the like seem inadequate to really pin this stuff down.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast