Thread: My first build - TLA-1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My first build - TLA-1

Hi All

After much waiting, I finally received my TLA-1 earlier this week.

I am a complete newbie to this, but have found some of the work produced by members here to be truly inspiring. Having said that, I am not setting the bar too high for the first build. Just want to make a reasonably attractive and playable guitar. If the build goes well, the plan is to build another kit and give it to my old man.

The only modification I am making to the kit is to use a white pearloid scratch plate rather than the stock white.

My plan was to do a ceruse finish, but I was slightly disappointed with the grain on the body. I guess I will still work towards a ceruse finish, but if it doesn't pan out, I will just go with a plain colour.

As foreshadowed in the online instructions, the rout for the bridge pick up was not quite right, so I ended up having to enlarge it. I don't have a router, so I just made do with drill, chisel etc.

Whilst waiting for the kit to arrive, the thing I was most nervous about was shaping the headstock - I had visions of splitting or snapping the head and therefore ruining the neck. Therefore I decided to do the headstock first because if I was going to break it, I wanted to break it before I spent time preparing and painting the body!

I am happy to report that the shaping of the headstock has been safely negotiated. I wanted to go with a classic telecaster headstock, and for a first go, I am pretty happy with the results.

I then spent a couple of days of sanding the body. Given my plan to do a ceruse finish, I figure that I don't need to sand it to a mirror shine. I have now given the body the first coat. I have chosen a teal colour, and will (hopefully) use white highlights in the grain.

Here are my progress pics. I will keep updating as I go.

Cheers
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	37324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mock build.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	37323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Out of the Box.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	37322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teal paint.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	37325