Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EXA-1 Post Inserts Loose

EXA-1 Post Inserts Loose

Hi guys,

Just received my EXA-1 and had a quick look and the inserts for the posts for the bridge and tail piece have been drilled oversize. And I mean oversized. They are actually loose and the inserts fall into the body.

I have repaired a few Gibson style guitars where the posts have pulled out with by wrapping newspaper around the insert and gluing them in with PVA glue. Don't know whether to do that here or use some sort of shim? What do you guys think?

Thanks, Rod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3966.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	37300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3968.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	37301  
    Last edited by Rodc; 08-09-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Can you measure the post stud diameter? The end bit below the splines normally measures 11.5mm. Also measure the hole diameter. It’s unlikely that they’d have used a non-standard drill size as they’d only have the normal sizes to hand, so it’s more likely to me that the black hardware may be a smaller than normal size. Doesn’t fix the problem, but you need to know exactly what it is. It’s a Pit Bull problem, so they’ll need to know whether to supply a new body or new hardware. A new kit is not something you want to bodge a repair on. The bridge and tailpiece need to be really secure to transfer vibrations to and from the body for best resonance and sustain.

Thanks Simon. I'll check the hole sizes. Even the Gotoh post inserts are loose in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Can you measure the post stud diameter? The end bit below the splines normally measures 11.5mm. Also measure the hole diameter. It’s unlikely that they’d have used a non-standard drill size as they’d only have the normal sizes to hand, so it’s more likely to me that the black hardware may be a smaller than normal size. Doesn’t fix the problem, but you need to know exactly what it is. It’s a Pit Bull problem, so they’ll need to know whether to supply a new body or new hardware. A new kit is not something you want to bodge a repair on. The bridge and tailpiece need to be really secure to transfer vibrations to and from the body for best resonance and sustain.
    I just checked the hole size with a steel rule Simon. I haven't got vernier calipers. They measure 11.5 mm by my eyes.

That sound right. I used an 11.5mm drill to clear and deepen the post holes on my GSJ-1 kit, so I suspect the posts are smaller than standard. Which is fine if the holes are drilled to suit, but obviously not in this case.

10.5mm post stud size Simon. I might get a set of vernier calipers tomorrow.

That's the issue then. Definitely get some calipers, I use my cheap digital ones all the time now. Just brilliant and I don't know what I'd do without them.

Apart from not knowing what size stuff was.

Email Pit Bull and tell them the posts are a non-standard size and can they supply a bridge and tailpiece in black that is the right size to fit the holes.

That sound right. I used an 11.5mm drill to clear and deepen the post holes on my GSJ-1 kit, so I suspect the posts are smaller than standard. Which is fine if the holes are drilled to suit, but obviously not in this case.
    Thanks again Simon. I'll see if I can get some larger inserts by the sounds of it. You are one very knowledgeable guy Simon!

The internal threads should (in theory) be M8 if you want to reuse the same posts.

From your pic, it looks like the bridge posts have a small post diameter for the bridge to suit a USA-style original TOM bridge, whilst the normal metric bridges generally have larger posts and corresponding larger holes in the bridge. So if you get metric size post bushings, you may need a whole new bridge and tailpiece to go with them.

The internal threads should (in theory) be M8 if you want to reuse the same posts.

From your pic, it looks like the bridge posts have a small post diameter for the bridge to suit a USA-style original TOM bridge, whilst the normal metric bridges generally have larger posts and corresponding larger holes in the bridge. So if you get metric size post bushings, you may need a whole new bridge and tailpiece to go with them.
    I lined the tailpiece and the bridge up using the posts/bolts that came with the kit and they seem to fit everything ok Simon. The Gotoh bridge I ordered must have the American bushings too. They are the same size as the loose ones. Around 10.5mm. About 7/32".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast