Thread: Output jack

Output jack

So after my build, I had to replace the output jack.
    Last night performance, the jack again is giving me problems as in cutting out.
    I may not have secured the inside of the control cavity properly as it is my first build.
    The RCA input on the inside of the control cavity is very tight. And I'm not sure how I'm supposed to "shield/prepare" it for use.
    If anyone has any photo's or suggestions, I'd appreciate.
    For now, I tried to use a form of electrical tape around the input jack inside the control cavity, rather primitive, there must be a proper way.

Do you really mean RCA? Or just a normal TS jack socket?

These are RCA connections and aren't normally used on guitars:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS0263-2-way-phenolic-rca-socketImageMain-515.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	37273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R8138872-01.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	37274

I'm struggling to picture what your actual problem is. Can you take a couple of photos and post them, as it will help us to help you.

If its just that you've put copper tape around the inside of the hole the output jack fits in, then I'd either remove the copper tape, or just run insulating tape over its surface within the hole.

For a more engineered solution, you could use a sanding wheel on a Dremel to enlarge the inside part of the output jack hole, big enough so that you can run copper tape inside it without any risk of the socket ears touching it when a jack is inserted. I'd still run insulating tape over it if it were mine, though I probably wouldn't run any copper inside the hole itself. The noise reduction benefit is minimal, but the risk of grounding out the signal is much greater.

I'd also change to a Pure Tone output jack socket, as it holds the jack much more securely and it won't wiggle about. I'd also make sure you put some heat shrink over the hot signal terminal and solder connection.

But most of us end up putting insulating tape over parts of our copper shielding, as it is very hard to ensure that no part of a pot or switch connection ever comes in contact with the copper. Especially when the kit bodies/control cavities are often slightly shallower than their inspiration, so switches and pots are that bit nearer the rear of the cavity. Insulation works, so embrace it.

RCA-4 Bass Build, output jack

Thanks Simon, and I meant my RCA-4 build in earlier post.
    I bought a new Allparts jack to replace original, and maybe it is connecting with the shielding.
    Gonna have to get in there and see.
    Thanks again.