Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil based wood stain Compatibility Question

Question Oil based wood stain Compatibility Question

I apologize it this is posted somewhere. I couldn’t find it discussed, but here’s the question:

Can one use an oil based wood stain such as Minwax, let it dry, apply shellac let it dry, then apply nitro lacquer?

I have a body that I stained with oil based stain. I’d like to finish it in clear nitro lacquer with shellac as a barrier between the stain and nitro.

Is that acceptable / compatible? I just don’t want to use polyurethane, I have a lot of nitro clear on hand and I like it better.

Thanks.

Yes. I plan on doing the same with one of my guitars. If you google “nitrocellulose lacquer over shellac” there are tons of hits saying it’s a good combo.

3. Liked by: MusicStudent1

As always, whilst the theory says OK, it’s best to test on scrap wood for any possible reaction first. The shellac will have a solvent which could free some of the underlying stain, even if only a few spots, so it might be worth testing nitro straight on top of the minwax first. The minwax is likely to have a poly sealer mixed in, so it could be OK on its own. Whilst there are generic replies to the question, so much depends on the actual chemical composition of the stain formula if not a straightforward water or spirit-based stain. One company may add a small amount of something that does cause a reaction, whilst another uses something that doesn’t.

Plus the solvent in nitro is pretty powerful stuff itself, so is very likely to get through a thin layer of shellac.

Test on scrap - yeah, I’ve heard that before!....Now, that’s a good idea. I’ve got a body (non-PitBull) that’s ready for either:

Schellac and lacquer

Or

Minwax poly.

As stated, I don’t want poly so a scrap test is a good idea.

Wow...the more I think about it, the more sense it makes just to use Minwax poly as recommended.

Once I went down the oil-based stain path, I think I’d better just stay on it with oil based poly. If after all this work, something went wrong and I’d have to start over....I think might actually smash the thing with a sledgehammer!

(Ok, I probably wouldn’t, but I’d think about it!) 😡

FWIW, I just hit the body with 3 coats of poly from a rattle can. I really wanted to use shellac and nitro but was too worried about incompatibilities.

Unless it really deadens the sound of the body, I am beginning to like the poly idea. It turned out ok so far!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA3BB940-0F92-493D-84A4-D26D745E966D.jpeg 
Views:	147 
Size:	783.2 KB 
ID:	37297

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18EB1E2C-1051-4681-AAD8-720C9A8C6CD7.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	724.2 KB 
ID:	37298

It’s more about the thickness of the coat than the finish used that deadens body resonance.

9. Liked by: MusicStudent1

Looks good!
    Oil based stain and poly is certainly a safe, tried and true combination.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Looks good!
    Oil based stain and poly is certainly a safe, tried and true combination.
    Thanks, McCreed!

That clear coat went on so well, I’m considering re-spraying a bass I finished in acrylic lacquer.

I haven’t done any research on it yet but I thought I’d ask....can one use polyurethane clear over acrylic?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Usually fine so long as the acrylic is completely cured.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast