Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Benton Jazz Bass kit build

Oh dang! The joys and reality of trying to achieve excellence. I saw an interesting arrival about how we underestimate the impact of luck in success... We think success is all due to skill and planning.l, but a significant factor is luck.

Sometimes Lady Luck is out getting her hair done... It would have been nice if she let you know first .

I have tried to get away from spray and have gone to brush/wipe on poly. I still have a SG guitar and bass I am waiting to finish but seeing as the weather has been too cool and I haven't been able to get paint due to lock down they will have to wait.

Where I spray I have a patio that I hang my guitars on and spray away from my house as my wife doesn't have a sense of humour.
    Everything was fine until the sun got to my guitar one day and blistered the paint. Sanded back and resprayed and I hung a blanket up so the guitar was in the shade. First few times all was good. Then one day the wind came up and the blanket touched the guitar and gave it a unique texture that required sanding. Fixed that problem by putting a rope across to stop it swinging only then to have the guitar fall onto the concrete and snap the horn off a Strat. I now put a rubber mat that is used to stand on as it is quite soft under all of them so if it happens again I only have to repair paint damage.

Have now gone into using poly as it can be used when the weather is cooler, is cheaper, doesn't need all the equipment and by using water base I am allowed to hang them in the spare room as there is little or no smell.

We do this as it relaxes us?
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 2 - Non PBG Tele Thin line
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    # 8 - SGB-30 + Non PBG SG
    # 9 - Custom JRM-1DC 12 String
    #10 - Custom ST-1 with P90's
    #11 - Custom TL-1 with 27" Bari Neck
    #12 - Custom JZ-6 Jazzmaster
    #13 - AG-1 Factory Second
    #14 - Custom JZ-6 Bass vi
    #15 - EX-1R Factory Second
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

I spray outside in my toilet tent on the patio. the compressor stays inside the garage to cut down on noise (less of a problem now) and keep any overspray out of the intakes. But my problem this time was small airborne specs getting blown on to the body (the spray gun must be generating some static which helps attract particles). It was a breezy day, windier than I'd have liked, and I had lifted the body up (hung down from a eye screwed into the end strap hole) so I could spray the inside of the horns and end of the neck pocket end more easily, puling it out of the tent's protection to do so.

Waited for the clear to dry before sanding the specks off, but with nitro, the solvent softens the paint underneath and the specs had sunk in enough that to remove them, I'd also ended up sanding through the top paint layer, which had ended up lighter than the coats beneath. So I now had an obvious dark patch which needed fixing. I tried using some thinners to get a bit of the blue from the bottom of the jar onto a brush, which worked; but the blue was the darker blue, so I ended up with an even more obvious patch.

So, more sonic blue paint ordered, of which several coats will need to be applied and I probably won't bother with any clear now.

So, more sonic blue paint ordered, of which several coats will need to be applied and I probably won't bother with any clear now.
    Well, on the upside, there should be plenty of coats of colour down to prevent sand-through to the timber.

I too have had some issues finishing the LP neck I recently posted about in another thread.
    There were a few tiny gaps between the binding and timber on the face of the headstock, which I thought would in-fill with enough coats of poly... I was wrong. Then, in my attempt to fill them with CA, I only made things worse. So sanded back to bare timber; re-stained; and have started re-spraying the poly.

Good plan, right???
    Well for some reason I'm getting some weird pock marks in the satin poly! It's not orange peel (which I have never had with poly anyway). Not sure what's going on. I've played with the pressure, air flow, fluid flow etc. The gun is clean as a whistle, the batch of poly is brand new. Good news is he last coat of the day seemed ok, but I will need to level sand before doing more coats tomorrow.

The upside for my situation is it should come up better than my first application would have. (providing tomorrow's session goes smoothly )
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

The finish was already nice and flat, so any sanding required will be minimal. And it will have one extra coat of clear sandwiched between the layers of blue.

Yes, strange things happen with no known explanation when spraying. Bubbling, pinholes that won't fill, marks appearing from nowhere after you've made sure the body is clean...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The finish was already nice and flat, so any sanding required will be minimal. And it will have one extra coat of clear sandwiched between the layers of blue.

Yes, strange things happen with no known explanation when spraying. Bubbling, pinholes that won't fill, marks appearing from nowhere after you've made sure the body is clean...
    One word. Aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    One word. Aliens.
    Possibly Gremlins.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

And I was wearing my fully foil-lined spraying outfit as well, including the foil cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    And I was wearing my fully foil-lined spraying outfit as well, including the foil cap!
    Well there's your problem! Single layer shielding stopped being effective some time ago. You need to use metallic paint. The overlapping layers of aluminium flake deflect the mind control rays and scatter the widget fandoogle sargogs <headnoiddle>.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast