Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: October GOTM

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Really nice Simon, kicked of with a couple of classics this month.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Hi Folks, finally finished my custom ES-3.
    CTS pots and push back cloth wire.
    TUSQ XL nut.
    Tonerider Alnico II Classic Humbucker.
    Floating rosewood bridge.
    Rosewood veneer pickup ring.
    Rosewood knobs reused off my ES-5V.
    Rosewood truss rod cover made from veneer.
    Rosewood veneer headstock with gold glitter inlay.
    Gold tailpiece, output jack, screws and gold Gotoh tuners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 127.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	436.6 KB 
ID:	37466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 128.png 
Views:	644 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	37467  

Body is gloss poly.
    Neck is satin poly rubbed with 0000 steel wool.
    Fret board is stained with Japan brown and coated with satin poly.
    I really like the chatoyance in the headstock wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 129.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	37468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 130.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	688.6 KB 
ID:	37469  

4. Liked by: Cliff Rogers, matthew

It's a beaut! It looks like you did something custom with the fretboard inlays as well?

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    It's a beaut! It looks like you did something custom with the fretboard inlays as well?
    Hi fender3x, nothing custom about the fretboard inlay. That’s actually stock standard on these models.

Very cool, nevertheless ;-)

Hi guys,

Some really excellent builds already entered this month, so it feels like certainly haven't chosen the right month to finish my guitar! Nevertheless, here is my first build, a TLA-1F. After years of dragging my wife through guitar shops my goal was to create a guitar that she would stop and look at. To achieve this I wudtone surfer girl Green on the guitar body's face and some of the headstock to allow the wood to show through. The back of the guitar is done with a colourless wudtone finish, while the neck is the colourless wudtone neck finishing kit. The sides of the guitar feature a pyrographed Paisley design that features imagery symbolic of musical influences and other things that are symbolic of our lives. This was also clear coated using colourless wudtone.

For hardware I used CTS 250K pots, CRL 3 way switch, pull-back cloth wiring, new chrome bridge plating, a 6 saddle bridge, Seymour Duncan hot tele pick ups, switch craft output jack coupled with an electrosocket jack mount, orange drop capacitor, a custom Paisley pick guard, chrome switch knob, chrome and abalone control dials, copper shielding throughout, as well as a new bone nut and gotoh tuners on the head.

While I've always preferred the strat style headstock, I wanted to pay hommage to the telecaster roots of the guitar. So I cut the headstock to a strat shape and used the colour tone and a faux binding to seperate the two while also linking them to the body's colour scheme. "simcaster" was the name I chose, not just because this is a simulation telecaster, but my wife's name is Simone! I made the design on my phone, printed it on some waterslide paper and applied it. To get it to bed in I had to use several coats of clear rattle can poly which I then sanded back before applying wudtone,so the finish matched the body.

The neck is standard except for the inlays. I drilled the centre of the black dots out and filled them with NZ paua shell. This was all finished with the wudtone finishing kit and 0000 steel wool.

That's about all there is too it. The guitar sounds incredible, and I'm delighted with the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9. Liked by: Cliff Rogers, Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Hi Folks, finally finished my custom ES-3.
    CTS pots and push back cloth wire.
    TUSQ XL nut.
    Tonerider Alnico II Classic Humbucker.
    Floating rosewood bridge.
    Rosewood veneer pickup ring.
    Rosewood knobs reused off my ES-5V.
    Rosewood truss rod cover made from veneer.
    Rosewood veneer headstock with gold glitter inlay.
    Gold tailpiece, output jack, screws and gold Gotoh tuners.
    Mark,

Once again your skills have come through. This is an amazing build. Simple but with slight personalisation. Love that finish.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Hi guys,

Some really excellent builds already entered this month, so it feels like certainly haven't chosen the right month to finish my guitar! Nevertheless, here is my first build, a TLA-1F. After years of dragging my wife through guitar shops my goal was to create a guitar that she would stop and look at. To achieve this I wudtone surfer girl Green on the guitar body's face and some of the headstock to allow the wood to show through. The back of the guitar is done with a colourless wudtone finish, while the neck is the colourless wudtone neck finishing kit. The sides of the guitar feature a pyrographed Paisley design that features imagery symbolic of musical influences and other things that are symbolic of our lives. This was also clear coated using colourless wudtone.

For hardware I used CTS 250K pots, CRL 3 way switch, pull-back cloth wiring, new chrome bridge plating, a 6 saddle bridge, Seymour Duncan hot tele pick ups, switch craft output jack coupled with an electrosocket jack mount, orange drop capacitor, a custom Paisley pick guard, chrome switch knob, chrome and abalone control dials, copper shielding throughout, as well as a new bone nut and gotoh tuners on the head.

While I've always preferred the strat style headstock, I wanted to pay hommage to the telecaster roots of the guitar. So I cut the headstock to a strat shape and used the colour tone and a faux binding to seperate the two while also linking them to the body's colour scheme. "simcaster" was the name I chose, not just because this is a simulation telecaster, but my wife's name is Simone! I made the design on my phone, printed it on some waterslide paper and applied it. To get it to bed in I had to use several coats of clear rattle can poly which I then sanded back before applying wudtone,so the finish matched the body.

The neck is standard except for the inlays. I drilled the centre of the black dots out and filled them with NZ paua shell. This was all finished with the wudtone finishing kit and 0000 steel wool.

That's about all there is too it. The guitar sounds incredible, and I'm delighted with the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    This is such an original build. I like the individual design elements that come together to make this an impressive guitar. Really well done. Nice choices.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    This is a heck of a month so far! Going to be super hard to split these builds.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast