Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "Fake" wood fretboard

I’d be open to using some kind of epoxy to harden the fretboard. What epoxy do you guys recommend?

I ordered my kit knowing full well the neck was going to be engineered rosewood. If it shows up with real rosewood, great! However, I need that specific neck and it’s got the engineered board so I’m going to see what I can do with it.

I used SP systems eposeal, which is a heavily thinned penetrating epoxy primer. But the smallest available quantity is about 50UKP, and is enough for about a thousand fretboards.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

3. Liked by: MusicStudent1

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I used SP systems eposeal, which is a heavily thinned penetrating epoxy primer. But the smallest available quantity is about 50UKP, and is enough for about a thousand fretboards.
    Thanks for the info. I’m located in the US and that product doesn’t look like it’s readily available here.

Ok, let’s switch back to Simon’s CA idea. What about this stuff?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...4.html#reviews

It looks like it’s somewhat slow drying and comes with that brush. I don’t think it would take more than 15 minutes to “paint” an entire engineered rosewood board with the stuff.

That is what we’re discussing, right? Gluing this flaky “engineered” stuff together so it doesn’t come apart. It seems the super glue idea makes sense.

I have heard you don’t want to inhale that stuff so I’d be wearing a respirator before I began “painting” the board.

I’ve never done this before but what’s the procedure? Coat the board with the CA superglue then buff with steel wool and you’re done?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3