Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neck Reset for a builder in North Narrabeen NSW

Neck Reset for a builder in North Narrabeen NSW

Hey folks, we have a builder in North Narambeen who has a serious set neck issue, see attached image.

He did do a Mock Build, but couldn't get the bridge in position, so the end result is a set neck at the wrong angle.

He's done an amazing finish, so it would great if we can get someone on here to reset the neck... I think it needs a decent size shim at the back of the pocket.

So, anyone in this area of NSW who could help out? Pit Bull Guitars will pay for your time in coupons, product or karma.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clay.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	37127

Thank you
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Can we have more pics, because there's lot that doesn't look quite right there. Whoever's going to even attempt it will certainly want a lot more details before thinking about looking at it. E.g if it's a glued-in neck, what glue did they use, as that will determine whether it can be steamed off or not. And there is always risk of damage to the body finish, which the builder must accept.

What kit is it? Looks like a hollow body of some sort because of the arched top, so maybe FS-1 as that's the only hollow body I know of available with a maple fretboard, but the FS-1 neck sits a bit taller than that (looking at other builds). Looks almost like they've fitted a bolt-on neck into a set-neck kit the neck angle is so far out. Unless there's a very high nut as well, and the bridge is as low as it will go, then any 'shim' would need to be around 6-8mm tall (my estimation) which really isn't going to work. You may get away with 1mm-2mm, but more than that and it's really not going to work at all well and you'll lose sustain and tone. You'd need to add a complete extra block under the heel to raise the neck up, as well as adding some more angle. It's almost as though the tongue the factory necks have glued to the bottom of the heel is missing.

The dip in the top along the neck in the pocket looks odd to me. Most kits are straight-edged there, so could the top have lifted away from the centre block (not an easy fix at all)?

AS an aside, the neck pickup ring will need to be rotated to match the body top curve to get the pickup sitting level (and lower) in it.

It sure looks like an FS-1.
    This thread may be of some help as to how it should look.
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...?t=7401&page=2

A good pic towards the bottom of page 2 that shows there is some dip in the neck/pocket line but not that much.
    A few razor saws (or fine Japan saws) and fret groove cleaning saws will probably be needed.

Good luck to whoever takes it on - the build deserves it based on what I can see.

Cheers
    Ricky

A slight dip, yes, but Neverwas's neck is sitting so much higher than the one above, and its angle is up, not down. Something very wrong with that neck. I'd suggest it needs probably needs a new one.

Yes, I fully agree Simon.
    I included the link as a good reference for what it should look like.
    Angle is all wrong AND quarter inch too low.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Closest person I can think of is Frankie, but still a bit of a hike and maybe not possible with current covid restrictions?

I'd also like to see some more pictures if possible.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

This is my ESB-4, which doesn’t look so very different to me, but the neck angle on this one was set up for a very non standard bridge, and it also has non standard pickup rings. I honestly don't recall how much the neck was altered, but I'd be surprised if it were very many mm.

Name:	resize1598565735390.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	37128

Is it certain that an alternate bridge couldn't solve the problem? That pickup ring looks as if its the wrong way round and could also do with thinning a bit which would go a long way to dealing with the pickup height.
    Last edited by JimC; 28-08-2020 at 06:13 AM.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

If you look at the bridge pickup, you’ll see that it’s sitting a lot higher (I’d guess just under 1cm) than the neck pickup in the plane of the strings with minimal string clearance. So a lower bridge won’t help as the strings would just hit the bridge pickup. And with a curved top, the Tune-O-Matic style bridge fitted is about the only workable option. And a flat Fender-style bridge is only 5mm lower at best and you’d need more than that. Plus it’s a finished guitar, so routing to inset a flat bridge and not damage the finish would be hard work, and you’d also be left with two unused stop post tail holes.

Have looked through pics of my build, this was the closest I could find to the one posted

Name:	FS neck set 1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	253.6 KB 
ID:	37135
    Whether it is a FS or an ES (ordered with a maple board) the neck is far too low in the body. A pic from this angle would help a lot.

Name:	FS neck set 2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	306.8 KB 
ID:	37136
    Makes me think the builder wanted the neck binding level with the body and adjusted to achieve that.
    There is no way that neck pickup is going to be lower than the end of the fretboard as it is.
    And yeah, pickup ring backwards.

My 2c
    Grant

Some more photos for Clay's build

He wants to have a go at fixing this himself, so would greatly appreciate any advice.

Name:	IMG_1683.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	465.1 KB 
ID:	37141

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	514.9 KB 
ID:	37139

Name:	IMG_1684.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	37140

Name:	clay2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	423.0 KB 
ID:	37137
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clay1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	496.8 KB 
ID:	37138  
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast