Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dean Zone Bass Re-build

Dean Zone Bass Re-build

I have to wait until November for my kit to come in so in the meantime, I thought I’d resurrect an old parted out bass. The Guitar Center Dean Zone bass! I played it a lot and it was pretty cheap back in 2009. I’ve now grown tired of the translucent brown finish and cheap pot metal hardware.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73745AC3-3A15-40D5-9476-62B7050F19B1.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	726.4 KB 
ID:	37118

Name:	BC3F1948-F9AD-49DD-AD37-84BF7DA1A991.jpeg 
Views:	198 
Size:	590.4 KB 
ID:	37119

Name:	7FF2944A-79F4-4979-85B3-49D6898257BD.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	716.6 KB 
ID:	37120

Name:	AC06CC00-A3E1-4FA2-B616-D02FF45C3E61.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	533.3 KB 
ID:	37121

Name:	7A799BEA-B8FF-40F6-B720-791650DFF9AE.jpeg 
Views:	147 
Size:	657.8 KB 
ID:	37122

This will be a chance to practice all the stuff I skipped or messed up on during my first build. Such as lining the control cavity with copper shielding tape, lubing the screws with soap, etc.

Not really a build, but a rebuild and upgrade. Bigger, heavier tuners, bone nut, high mass bridge.

I sanded most of the original finish off. Let’s see if I can do a decent nitro finish this time. New bridge, new nut, bigger tuners. I hope I can do it right.
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 27-08-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Name:	9847FCFA-CD21-49F7-A2CD-41E4707F360A.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	689.6 KB 
ID:	37123

I’m not sure this effort is worth it but the bass was just going to waste.

Once the humidity goes down around here, we’ll get those spray cans out.

Nice project.

I’ll put in my standard advice to measure up the headstock for size before buying any tuners. You should be fine with any Y-style tuners as their bodies are pretty compact. But Fender-style elephant’s ears can be a very tight fit indeed on a 2+2 headstock and are often just too large unless it’s been built with them in mind.

Same with a replacement bridge. Whilst it’s probably got standard P/J bass spacing, just measure to double check, as you may find it’s a bit narrower. You’d also be amazed at the variation in spacings available on replacement bridges, so don’t go by looks alone.

All the best with the project.

4. Liked by: MusicStudent1

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Nice project.

...Fender-style elephant’s ears can be a very tight fit indeed on a 2+2 headstock and are often just too large unless it’s been built with them in mind.

Same with a replacement bridge. Whilst it’s probably got standard P/J bass spacing, just measure to double check, as you may find it’s a bit narrower. You’d also be amazed at the variation in spacings available on replacement bridges, so don’t go by looks alone.

All the best with the project.
    Simon, you are 100% correct! The Fender elephant ears type tuners are a really tight fit but they didn’t cost too much. It’s some kind of IQ test to switch them around to get them to fit. (I am failing that IQ test, &#128514. I might actually buy another set and mix and match until I can get them all to fit.

They add so much weight and mass to the headstock, I love them! I can’t go back to those little toy tuners. I also bought a hipshot bridge that definitely fits. It’s good and heavy, too. For me, the heavier the better.

This is my goal: A light, breathable finish, mass at each end of the strings (headstock and bridge) with a quality bone nut. Thanks for the heads up. I am going to make this work.

Name:	7A8306DF-DB8B-49CD-BF73-B031D45BE74B.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	685.7 KB 
ID:	37132

It seems to me that you'll be doing astonishingly well to fit those big tuners on there, but if you've got the facilities maybe you could consider gluing "wings" on the side of the headstock which would then give you as much real estate as you need. A piece of veneer on the front and paint the back as you'd also need to fill the existing holes.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    It seems to me that you'll be doing astonishingly well to fit those big tuners on there, but if you've got the facilities maybe you could consider gluing "wings" on the side of the headstock which would then give you as much real estate as you need. A piece of veneer on the front and paint the back as you'd also need to fill the existing holes.
    That is a great idea but....this bass guitar was and always will be a cheap piece of crap. It wouldn’t be worth it to dowel holes, re drill add wood, widen..it be better just to get a new neck....I might end up doing that eventually.

I have been pondering this dilemma for a day or so and here are two options with the existing neck:

1. Line the tuners up the best I can (they do all fit if rotated around just right but there are edges that stick out and look sloppy) and screw ‘me down. It’ll look passable, will be functional but wouldn’t win any GOTM contest if it were a kit, lol!!!

2. Do step #1 above except take a grinder to the tuners which have edges sticking out. If I could trim those edges, I could make it look better. I have cutting bits for my dremel....I don’t know, that metal is pretty thick.

I’m inclined to just do step #1 above. I’m really just making an abandoned junker bass useable so if it doesn’t look like a million bucks, it’s ok.

Thanks for the ideas, though!!!

if you've git a Hipshot bridge, then Hipshot Ultralights would be the matching choice. Compact and you can get versions with clover, mini clover, lollipop, Y or short shaft Y keys if you want them. Never cheap, but they are great quality and can be moved over to another bass. The keys are reversible so you can swap from a 2+2 to 4-a-side (or even 3+1), configuration. And being light, they'll help balance the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicStudent1 View Post
    ... cheap piece of crap. It wouldn’t be worth it to dowel holes, re drill add wood, widen..it be better just to get a new neck.!!
    The contrary view being that as a cheap piece of crap its an ideal platform to try out stuff which is pushing your boundaries... But I don't know your skills. If that kind of wood bashing is routine for you then yeah, not worth the effort. If not, well, what could be interesting... Splice on an angled headstock? Thin it so all the tuner holes are gone and add wings in stripes of contrasting coloured timbers... Just depends what sounds like fun to you... But if that doesn't sound like fun don't do it!
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

10. Liked by: MusicStudent1

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    The contrary view being that as a cheap piece of crap its an ideal platform to try out stuff which is pushing your boundaries... But I don't know your skills.
    That’s it exactly. This is a practice run. And...my skills are minimal. I really don’t own any tools yet other than a coping saw and a drill.

My “rebuilding” this thing is definitely pushing my boundaries.

Oh, if I had the tools, I could cobble together my dream instrument. (Baseball bat thick neck, 2” thick body, massive headstock, etc.)

I retire soon and can get the tools then, I’m just not there yet. You have good ideas though. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    if you've git a Hipshot bridge, then Hipshot Ultralights would be the matching choice. Compact and you can get versions with clover, mini clover, lollipop, Y or short shaft Y keys if you want them. Never cheap, but they are great quality and can be moved over to another bass. The keys are reversible so you can swap from a 2+2 to 4-a-side (or even 3+1), configuration. And being light, they'll help balance the bass.
    Hey, thanks Simon!! I’ll check those tuners out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast