Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Sonic's ES-1F Hollowbody Adventure

Excellent! Once you've nudged the pickup a couple of mil north, the OCD will be settled

cheers, Mark.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Excellent! Once you've nudged the pickup a couple of mil north, the OCD will be settled

cheers, Mark.
    Yeah lol. An interesting feature of this is guitar is that the humbucker screws are just a little bent, so rotating them moves the pickup around about 1mm, a little tinkering and it should line up fine. Good enough that it won't drive me crazy any way.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I've been chipping away at this on and off today. Fixed the high fret and did various other small bits and pieces such as installing the strap buttons. I messed up the bone nut. It was going so well, then I got ambitious and took a bit much off the bottom. So setup with the plastic one for now. Not too bad, a little high on the treble side, but I'm going to let him take it and play it for a while, then get it back for final setup once it's settled a bit. I'll make up a new nut then.

Currently strung with 11's, which seem a good fit. Might go back to 10's, but given the way he plays I think these might be more appropriate.

Anyway, some "finished" pics. I'm not being fussy with finger prints etc as we kind of want the grime and patina to build up on it.

Thanks for all the support along the way guys, I'll put up a review when it comes back.

Very very nice! And good job with the string alignment!
    Build #1 Explorer EXM-1
    Build #2 IB-4 P-Bass
    Build #3 Single-Cut
    Epiphone Gothic Modifying and upgrading
    Build #4 HB-4 Custom

Well done! That's a pretty tasty looking ES build. I'm not a fan of "Gibson" bursts normally, though their honey, and tobacco bursts can be nice. I love that the back and sides are kinda Walnut, along with the burst you did.
    I'm interested to know more about the guitar this was based on - I'm expecting a custom GR1 kit to be delivered sometime soon, and am going to attempt to reproduce a Blonde Harmony H62 with it. See link for pics: https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...Rj8l2m9aL0XRUn
    It appears the GR1 is pretty much the sme body style and shape (also looks to be the same pretty much, as your customer's inspiration). When I get that done, I may well go the ES route also, and love Walnut, but also love Blonde, so your build may well be inspiration for me too, in combining the two!

Cheers, as far as I know the original inspiration guitar on the first page of this thread is an Ibaneze 'Artcore' variant similar to this one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ib...tcore-vintage/

I used Feast Watson stains, with 70%-50% diluted Brown teak and walnut that I airbrushed on for the burst, then Cabots satin poly. All available at the big green shed.

For a finish similar to that Harmony, I'd go and look at DarkMarks builds. He has his finger on the pulse of that style of guitar.

7. Liked by: kuanjb

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Cheers, as far as I know the original inspiration guitar on the first page of this thread is an Ibaneze 'Artcore' variant similar to this one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ib...tcore-vintage/

I used Feast Watson stains, with 70%-50% diluted Brown teak and walnut that I airbrushed on for the burst, then Cabots satin poly. All available at the big green shed.

For a finish similar to that Harmony, I'd go and look at DarkMarks builds. He has his finger on the pulse of that style of guitar.
    Cheers - I'll check DM's builds!!

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonIser View Post
    Cheers - I'll check DM's builds!!
    Hey, that’s me!
    NUTS! The last nut I fitted I sanded it too low. I had a second one spare and did EXACTLY the same thing again. Then I glued a piece of purfling to the bottom of the first nut and sanded to the right height.
    This has turned out stunning, SM. I think I’ll have to check out this Cabots satin.
    Seriously good.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6