Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic's ES-1F Hollowbody Adventure

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Sonic's ES-1F Hollowbody Adventure

Well, didn't think I'd be doing another kit for a while but here we go.

Some of you may remember the Cort ES335 copy I posted up a little while ago with the soft neck and body flex. After exploring a few options with it, we've decided to build a kit and swap in some of the good bits from the Cort, namely the Gibson pickups. Then the left over kit bits can go into the Cort and it can become a playable wall hanger. It's got some sentimental value, but even with major surgery I wasn't sure we'd be able to get it up to gigging standard.

This kit is from the seconds pile and is a bit messy around the neck pocket. It also comes without the holes drilled for the tail piece. So I'll either have to drill them, or come up with a trapeze arrangement.... or perhaps put a bigsby on it.

There are actually a lot of decisions yet to be made, including finishing, so the new soon-to-be owner is coming around tomorrow to discuss. I'm going to try and push him in the direction of black stain and satin poly with a bit of a burst to cover some imperfections. Then I'm thinking some polished aluminium for the scratch plate and truss rod cover. But I guess I'll see what he thinks and go from there.

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

2. Liked by: Joe Garfield

At worst it involves drilling holes for a stop tailpiece, which is far less critical than those for the bridge itself. Run a couple of bits of string with the bridge in place and the neck clamped on and you'll line it up easily.

Nice one Sonic. Do those kits have a solid centre block running right through? Just thinking something for the bigsby to hold onto if you do choose that route.

They do, though it's not that wide and some Bigsby screws would probably miss it. Unless you have a Bigsby designed for a solid body, most Bigsbys will extend back to the strap button, which is their main securing place. For those that have screws for the top (several don't at all), those screws are mainly there to stop the Bigsby moving sideways, so they don't need a huge amount of strength in an upwards direction.

Following! :-)

I too, have an ES-1f sitting here, waiting for me. I'm also planning to use a bigbsy. I can't see it in your pictures but mine does have the spots to drill for the tailpiece already marked. I think a bigsby or tailpiece looks better than a simple stoptail on these models. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it! :-)))
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hey all, good to have you along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    At worst it involves drilling holes for a stop tailpiece, which is far less critical than those for the bridge itself. Run a couple of bits of string with the bridge in place and the neck clamped on and you'll line it up easily.
    Yeah, I’m not too daunted and I actually have a laser cut template for the appropriate holes from when I did that flying V build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    They do, though it's not that wide and some Bigsby screws would probably miss it. Unless you have a Bigsby designed for a solid body, most Bigsbys will extend back to the strap button, which is their main securing place. For those that have screws for the top (several don't at all), those screws are mainly there to stop the Bigsby moving sideways, so they don't need a huge amount of strength in an upwards direction.
    This is good to know. I actually doubt we will go that route as it’s a bit of a money saving exercise as well. But I was having a look and it seemed pretty doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    Following! :-)
    I too, have an ES-1f sitting here, waiting for me. I'm also planning to use a bigbsy. I can't see it in your pictures but mine does have the spots to drill for the tailpiece already marked. I think a bigsby or tailpiece looks better than a simple stoptail on these models. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it! :-)))
    There doesn’t appear to be any marks but it won’t be much of an issue to sort out. I think a trapeze style would work well and that’s actually what I thought this might come with. There are a few around that seem pretty reasonable.
    Anyway, he’s coming around tomorrow to answer a bunch of my questions so I’ll have a clearer idea then. Stay tuned.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    ... from the seconds pile and is a bit messy around the neck pocket.
    I disguised messiness round the neck pocket on my ESB-4 with some white plastic as "binding". Duplicating that BWBWBW binding would have been better, but I failed to source any.
    Last edited by JimC; 28-08-2020 at 06:38 AM.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

You are going to make me want to build another guitar!

Send me a PM if you are going with gold hardware. I may have some options for you for a trapeze if you need.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

The flame looks awesome. I hope you have fun with the build! I like tailpieces on guitars like that since there's so much real estate between the bridge and the bottom of the guitar. But it's good to lay it out first - I learned on my build that my guitar doesn't really have enough curvature to do it 'right'.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast