Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gordon Smith Strat refinish

I think in this instance I used the top switched pot listed here. http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_053.htm

You'll find that the majority of all switched pots use the mini-sized potentiometer.

Wiring to add in the neck pickup is very simple. On the 5-way switch, take another wire from the neck pickup connection tab to the centre tab on one side of the switch. From the top tab of that side of the switch (nearest the pot itself) take a wire back to the common output tab on the 5-way switch and when you pull the knob up, the neck pickup is always connected to whatever the pickup selection is.

You could always take the top switch output to the volume pot input tab, but as I already had the 5-way switch output wire and a leg from the treble bleed capacitor+resistor circuit going through the hole in the pot tab, it was easier to take it back to the 5-way switch. On my 5-way import style switch, the two central terminals has a pre-made link between them (which could be snipped through if you wanted to keep the two sides of the switch separate) so I had a completely free contact I could wire to.

As I wasn't going to use the other half of the pot switch, I ran the wires on switch across both sets of terminals to double up on the contacts for increased reliability.

Basic pickup and switch connections only show:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	469.4 KB 
ID:	37096

I think that might be the first Gordon Smith I've actually liked the look of! Great work there.

P.S. don't suppose those black schaller strap locks are looking for a new home are they?

I've only got the button bits, not the strap attachment bits but I can pop them in the post of you want. PM me your address if you want them.

However I can also highly recommend recommend these Axetec fully Schaller-compatible straplocks. SPLK05 (complete lock) and SPBT06 (button only) It's what I use these days on my guitars and builds:
    http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_011.htm

You’ve really mastered the burst Simon. It looks amazing. It sounds like everything was conspiring against you to stop you getting a great finish, but you persevered and prevailed. It’s a shame you don’t get to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I've only got the button bits, not the strap attachment bits but I can pop them in the post of you want. PM me your address if you want them.

However I can also highly recommend recommend these Axetec fully Schaller-compatible straplocks. SPLK05 (complete lock) and SPBT06 (button only) It's what I use these days on my guitars and builds:
    http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_011.htm
    It's actually just the buttons I need, but I could do with a couple of sets and the prices at that link are very reasonable once you've split the postage over a couple of items. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I think in this instance I used the top switched pot listed here. http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_053.htm

You'll find that the majority of all switched pots use the mini-sized potentiometer.

Wiring to add in the neck pickup is very simple. On the 5-way switch, take another wire from the neck pickup connection tab to the centre tab on one side of the switch. From the top tab of that side of the switch (nearest the pot itself) take a wire back to the common output tab on the 5-way switch and when you pull the knob up, the neck pickup is always connected to whatever the pickup selection is.

You could always take the top switch output to the volume pot input tab, but as I already had the 5-way switch output wire and a leg from the treble bleed capacitor+resistor circuit going through the hole in the pot tab, it was easier to take it back to the 5-way switch. On my 5-way import style switch, the two central terminals has a pre-made link between them (which could be snipped through if you wanted to keep the two sides of the switch separate) so I had a completely free contact I could wire to.

As I wasn't going to use the other half of the pot switch, I ran the wires on switch across both sets of terminals to double up on the contacts for increased reliability.

Basic pickup and switch connections only show:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment-1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	469.4 KB 
ID:	37096
    Thanks Simon,
    Much appreciated for the info and sketch.
    You said a top switched pot, as someone who really knows nothing about this, are there different switching arrangements with push pull pots?

I just meant the pot at the top of the page.

I prefer push-push pots, but that site only had those in 500k, and I needed a 250k pot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2