Thread: XB-1 soldering

XB-1 soldering

Hello,
    I just finished shielding all the cavities and soldering a wire connecting all of them to reduce noise. I have a few questions regarding the actual soldering of the pickups.
    To start, while reading the instruction manual it said that pots labeled "b" are generally for tone. This kit only has 1 pot, which I would assume to be volume. Did I receive the wrong pot, or does it not matter.
    For my other question, I'm following the diagram for 2 humbuckers with 1 pot and 3 way switch (which I believe is correct. It says that I should route the bare wire for each humbuckers to the volume pot, and both hot wires to the switch. The problem is that the bridge cavity has the opening to the volume pot, and the neck cavity has the opening to the switch cavity. How am I supposed to route the ground wire for the neck.pickup and the hot wire for the bridge pickup? They Don't seem to be long enough.
    Thanks for the help

Edit : oh, one more thing. The diagram has the left most "leg"(idk what it's called lol) on the pot with a solder point on it but nothing connected. Do I actually put solder on it or just leave it?
    Last edited by Kitcatski; 16-08-2020 at 01:17 AM.

The XB-1 is indeed a single volume control. You're saying that it's marked B? That would generally, but not invariably be a linear (tone) pot. If you (or a mate) have a multimeter that does resistance this is easily checked. If its a linear pot then if you turn the knob halfway then the resistance between the centre pin and both outside ones should be much the same (most likely 250kohm, but maybe 125. If on the other hand its wildly different then its a log (volume) pot. A multimeter that does resistance is a handy thing to have anyway if you are going to do guitar electrics, so you might find it worth grabbing a cheap one.
    On wire routing, is there also a hole between the two pickup cavities? Does that help with the wire routing? As long as you can get the ground wires to an earth it doesn't matter much which one.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    The XB-1 is indeed a single volume control. You're saying that it's marked B? That would generally, but not invariably be a linear (tone) pot. If you (or a mate) have a multimeter that does resistance this is easily checked. If its a linear pot then if you turn the knob halfway then the resistance between the centre pin and both outside ones should be much the same (most likely 250kohm, but maybe 125. If on the other hand its wildly different then its a log (volume) pot. A multimeter that does resistance is a handy thing to have anyway if you are going to do guitar electrics, so you might find it worth grabbing a cheap one.
    On wire routing, is there also a hole between the two pickup cavities? Does that help with the wire routing? As long as you can get the ground wires to an earth it doesn't matter much which one.
    Yeah, its marked b. I could go and buy a multimeter, but it would still work regardless, correct? It's not too big a deal to me if it's a linear pot if it works, I could always just swap it out later. There is a hole between the pickup cavities, but even then wouldn't I need to completely remove the plastic around the 2 wires? I guess that's okay but it just doesn't seem like it would reach. I could draw a picture to illustrate where I think it will be an issue

Here's a drawing : http://imgur.com/a/o06B7Gl
    Last edited by Kitcatski; 16-08-2020 at 01:52 AM.

The only drawback with a linear pot is that 90% of the perceived volume change happens in 10% of the movement.

Is the wiring diagram like this one? https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co...H1v3_2014.pdf? My own choice would be to run the earth wires from both pickups to the earth tag on the 3 way switch, rather than run them to the pot body. It doesn't matter which earth they run to as long as its an earth.

The third terminal on the pot is bent so that it touches the pot body and soldered to it. Its another earth connection. Its a very conventional way to do it, but I prefer to use a short length of bare wire, not sure why.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Thank you so much, that answers all my questions. I'll wire them to the earth ground on the switch