Thread: 1W chime amp with Marshall tone stack

1W chime amp with Marshall tone stack

So I was intrigued in the 1w chime amp from diyguitarpedals and found a Vero build for it. I wanted something to drive my 1x12 that stays clean when driven and also the option of a headphone out.

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/sh...products_id=84

While I was building it, I read that it could benefit from an eq before hand. Then I found the Marshall tone stack Vero with an lpb after it for a gain recovery stage. I thought that blending the two circuits could be an ideal scenario.

Once both circuits were built and tested on their own, I tested how they worked fed into each other and there was no problems at all. I found that boosting the trim on the Marshall tone stack increased the overall output on the chime amp without any negative effects like motorboating or overload which I had read about which could have been an issue.

Combined into an 1590bb worked really well and loads of room to spare.

This drives my 1 X 12 pretty loud and more than enough for practice use and stays uber clean. Plays well with drive pedals.

I have a few spare TDA7052A chips if anyone is keen to have a play with something like this - just hit me up.

Looks great! Did you also try the tone/boost after the amp?

Also, this reminds me I should finish my noisy cricket. I lost interest a bit when it didn't sound as good as I hoped. It's the lack of a decent speaker letting it down.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Looks great! Did you also try the tone/boost after the amp?

Also, this reminds me I should finish my noisy cricket. I lost interest a bit when it didn't sound as good as I hoped. It's the lack of a decent speaker letting it down.

Thanks dude, no I didn't try that as I figured it was designed for the output to go straight into a speaker. The chip may not have then been able to sense what load it was driving - 8/4 ohm speaker or headphones etc.

And I agree, a good speaker really nails everything . Let me know if you want me to send you one of these ic's to play with. A few people have said these little chime amps stay cleaner than the noisy cricket.

OK, that makes sense if I stop thinking of the Chime as a pedal and think of it as a power amp. The booster is working like a preamp and would probably clip terribly if after the chime. Pretty sure it couldn't handle the high signal levels.

Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    OK, that makes sense if I stop thinking of the Chime as a pedal and think of it as a power amp.
    Good for you 'cause 'chime' for my brain conjures up 'doorbell'.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Good for you 'cause 'chime' for my brain conjures up 'doorbell'.

cheers, Mark.
    Same here.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

This has been ticking over in my mind (it does this all on it's own).

The missing 3rd element is a 2 or 3 channel 'mixer' stage. This would allow guitar input, backing or play along track input going to the Eq stage then to the amp stage which outputs to headphones.

Box it up as portable 'practice studio' for travelling or rehearsing while not annoying all and sundry. Run it off mains or a battery.

Something like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4chan-mixer-rev1.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	37043

Shamelessly borrowed from:
    https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...857#msg1133857
    Last edited by Rabbitz; 21-08-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/