Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grain Filler on Ash body

Thanks. I'm glad my stream is helping someone else out BD. Mark, the Timbermate I have is 4 In 1 and specifies it is for grain filling as 1 of the 4, not sure if this is what you mean but it might be alright.

So, I'm giving the shellac - timbermate - sand - shellac palaver a crack. I mixed up the timbermate thick so it approximates a runny paste and painted it on. I setup a fan to aid in the drying and once the first application had dried, I gave it another coat. I'll let that sit a week, periodically hit it with the fan again if I'm in the workshop, then give it a sand and a spray bottle mist with shellac.

Other than the shellac, this is the method I used with the mahogany with good results.

I'd post some pics if I took some. I'll try to take some before sanding

I found another technique, Timbermate - sand - sanding sealer - Timbermate again (if it needs it) - more sanding sealer (if you added more Timbermate). I got this from Fletcher custom guitars:
    I contacted the owner who I had seen on YouTube and he was really nice about it.
    I am having a go at this, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks everyone for your help, and BD I might look into that if I do another kit. Thanks again for all the help,
    Regards.

Dave did some great videos a few years back, he has been too busy to do any for a while now.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/FletcherHa...Guitars/videos
    Cliff

I used Feast & Watson Sanding Sealer on my JB-4M.
    I did about 7 coats which got me to where i wanted to be

I actually e-mailed David, he then provided me his number and got me to call him so he could walk me through what changes have happened to his process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradtb04 View Post
    I found another technique, Timbermate - sand - sanding sealer - Timbermate again (if it needs it) - more sanding sealer (if you added more Timbermate). I got this from Fletcher custom guitars:
    I contacted the owner who I had seen on YouTube and he was really nice about it.
    I am having a go at this, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks everyone for your help, and BD I might look into that if I do another kit. Thanks again for all the help,
    Regards.
    That's a great idea - I guess it then comes down to the compatibility of the sanding sealer with nitro. I know shellac is fine with nitro. Please let us know what products you are using (ie the sealer) beofre the nitro coats commence.

Quote Originally Posted by glenwilliam View Post
    I used Feast & Watson Sanding Sealer on my JB-4M.
    I did about 7 coats which got me to where i wanted to be
    What was your finish on top?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    What was your finish on top?
    Nitrocellulose

BD, I have a nitro sanding sealer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast