Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New DSS-1 Build

New DSS-1 Build

Well, I recieved the DSS-1 on Monday 3/8/20. Dingotone Ularu, Gold Hardware, American 5-way switch.

I've checked most of the hardware, mounted the electronics on a box, and soldered it up, connected to an amp and tested for response. All good.

Planning on black back and sides feathering inwards (bursty) at the front, red face to headstock, black rear, natural neck.

Snow at my place today (near Melbourne, Australia), not exactly wonderful weather for guitar building

Hmm, researching dyeing... the burst I was planning was optimistic. It's a veneer flame finish. I had been planning to fade the black from the edge towards a hard red in the centre. But since the black I have is a different composition, probably will not mix well with the red, and due to the veneer, cannot sand back the black. New Plan: mask the red about 5mm from the top, black below that, to avoid black bleed onto top. fade the red from solid edge to natural in the centre.

New Idea, why bother with black at all if it's only on the back of the body. Use the back for additional practice bursting.

6. Liked by: TonyV

Well, interruption due to spending a week in hospital with a brain bleed... gave me a bit of time to think about it, thinking I'll put a radius of the back ~15mm, open up the 24th fret a la PRS, but leave the front mostly flat due to the veneer.
    It's now a rehab project

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklets View Post
    Well, interruption due to spending a week in hospital with a brain bleed... gave me a bit of time to think about it, thinking I'll put a radius of the back ~15mm, open up the 24th fret a la PRS, but leave the front mostly flat due to the veneer.
    It's now a rehab project
    Dang! Hope you are on the mend. I hope it wasn’t from overthinking this finish. (Sorry if that’s bad taste.)
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Well, interruption due to spending a week in hospital with a brain bleed...
    Yikes! Glad to see your okay.
    FWIW, there's a guy on YT (Big D Guitars) that has a number of videos showing bursts done by hand with dyes.
    I haven't done a hand applied burst, and I don't necessarily agree with everything he says in some of his videos, but he does get good results.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

10. Liked by: Ducklets

I’ve read of people suffering set backs during their guitar builds but I think that takes the cake.
    Good luck with the rehab.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast