Thread: STA-1HT Build

STA-1HT Build

Another lockdown, another build. Well I actually ordered this a few weeks back as I was looking to round out my collection and thought that a strat was what was missing. I've gone with the hardtail for two reasons, one I don't really use the tremolo when playing and two, this was what was in stock. For this build I am looking to do something a little more out there as my other builds have been far more traditional.

I also went for the gold hardware upgrade and will be looking to upgrade the pickups with some Tonerider pure vintage pick ups and have ordered some CTS 250k pots and orange drop caps.

I've run out of guitar stands and been told to either sell some or stop building them so this might be the last one for a while ha ha.

As always, I won't bore you with stories of sanding late into the night so will get straight into the juicy stuff.
    Current Build STA-1HT
    Completed Build JZ-6
    Completed Build PBA-4

Completed LP Style (Non PBG Kit)

So I am looking at a solid colour and have found a blue by duplicolor that I really like and will be using SCA primer filler underneath.

On my JZ-6 build I used SCA primer however sanded back to the wood each time so that only the grain was being filled in, when it came time to spray the wood grain was still very visible. For this build I want to go for a solid colour with minimal to no grain if possible. To accomplish this I built up 4-5 coats of the primer then using a sanding block slowly and gently went about evening the primer out. Then i repeated this process two more times to fill all grooves/grain.

I'd read different things on primers but have used it in this instance as an undercoat.

Current Build STA-1HT
    Completed Build JZ-6
    Completed Build PBA-4

Next step was to start on the colour, having moved I've finally got some space to work and hang the guitar while spraying which has meant I haven't had to physically touch the guitar and reduce the risk of knocks and dents from moving it etc.

Over the last week or so I have slowly built up colour coats. While it doesn't build the colour or fill any grain, it's helped with the evenness of the colour - the metallic paint seems to show up when it's not done evenly. I.e. overlapping each spray by 50%.

Given the number of coats - i've used almost the entire can but the results are worth it. I was also careful to ensure I have a consistent thickness around the edge. On my previous build it was really easy to wet sand through clear coat and paint on any sharp edge (around the neck and horns in particular).

Current Build STA-1HT
    Completed Build JZ-6
    Completed Build PBA-4

Starting to build up the clear coat, the clear coat really helps the metallic colour come out (again, can't seem to get a decent pic so you'll have to trust me...).

I should add, for the neck I have gone a standard headstock design and am using tru oil again on the neck. I also replaced the nut with the bone nut upgrade I ordered. Like my PBA build, I was able to easily remove the nut with a scalpel by genty inserting it between the bottom side of the nut and the fretboard and lightly tapping it in. I repeated this each side a few times until it popped out. CA glue to affix the new nut.

Current Build STA-1HT
    Completed Build JZ-6
    Completed Build PBA-4

5. Liked by: BigDaddy

That's looking really good. And it's out of a can? Nice work.

Looks good. I used duplicolor metallic blue over SCA filler primer, with SCA clear over that. I agree that it is hard to get a photo of the metallic finish that does it justice. Mine always looks better in real life than I can manage in a photo.

I like the headstock too. I've always been a fan of the strat headstock.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Nice work with the rattle cans!
    I also like the slight variation you've done on the headstock (that little flat spot befrore the knob bit).

I'll offer just one thing though, if you haven't already put in the new nut, don't use CA. Just some Titebond or even PVA is better.
    You only need enough to hold it place when the strings are off, that's all. If you ever need to remove it again, you'll kick yourself for using CA.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Ahh, it's already in but hopefully no need to remove it anytime soon!

Cheers on the headstock, it was partly design and partly luck but I have seen a few that have the more defined 'belly' then that flat spot which I really like so glad it turned out OK!
    Current Build STA-1HT
    Completed Build JZ-6
    Completed Build PBA-4

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Looks good. I used duplicolor metallic blue over SCA filler primer, with SCA clear over that. I agree that it is hard to get a photo of the metallic finish that does it justice. Mine always looks better in real life than I can manage in a photo.

I like the headstock too. I've always been a fan of the strat headstock.
    Thanks - After using them a few times now, once you know the do's and don'ts they're a really solid alternative (ease of use and cost wise) if you can't or don't have the need to buy spray guns etc. Brad Angove has a few videos on YouTube on using rattle cans which were a big help.
    Current Build STA-1HT
    Completed Build JZ-6
    Completed Build PBA-4