Thread: Building a Djent Lefty Guitar: Best Passive Pick Ups?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Building a Djent Lefty Guitar: Best Passive Pick Ups?

Hey Guys, (First post)

I've recently been building the left-handed JM-1 Model during quarantine. Since finding and affordable left handed at a reasonable price is always a pain. It's the body of a Fender Jazzmaster, but I've dubbed it the "Djentmaster". I thought "if I'm gonna put a bunch of fancy new hardware in it, I'd like to do it myself". So I've been learning new skills to do so (like how to solder, paint and and use a sander). I've used several youtube tutorials, but have basically followed along Pitbull Guitars videos and Brad Angove videos for techniques and ways of doing things efficiently.

Within my research I have found that things like tremolo bridge, headstock machine heads, pick guards can be left-handed (or need to be left-handed I should say). Here is a list of all of the stuff I've put into the guitar that did not come with the kit:

Wilkinson Left Handed 6-in-line E-Z-LOK Guitar Tuners Tuning Pegs

Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL Sleek String Tree

GraphTech PT500000 TUSQ XL Black Self-Lubricating Slotted Nut

Wilkinson/Gotoh VS-100N Tremolo Black - Left handed

Dunlop SLS1503BK Straplok Traditional Strap Retainer System

I'm almost done with it, but I thought I'd ask, what are the best passive pickups in the Djent genre? I've been looking at:

Seymour Duncan Alpha & Omega Pickups (Mark Holcomb signature, from Periphery)

Bare Knuckle Juggernaut Humbucker (Misha Mansoor signature, from Periphery)

Seymour Duncan Black Winter

EMG Jim Root Daemonum (Slipknot guitarist) just to have a bit of versatility, but maintain the "heavy" factor.

Also, I know why some might ask "why aren't you using active pickups?" and to be honest, for a first time building a guitar, I don't feel comfortable cutting a cavity into the quitar, specially since I don't have the tools for it (I have literally used a dremel and a sander for all of the build)

Additional Questions:

Is there such a thing as left-handed pickups? (don't see a category for selecting left-handed pickups)

Are there left-handed cable sets? I looked at Obsedian Wire and they basically say "only compatible with Right Handed guitars & Basses. We hope to do Lefty sets in the future but we can not say when at this stage."

What would be the best way to set up these pickups? I know that it is a preference thing, trying to get most out of this guitar.

Thanks in advance!

I'm posting what the guitar looks like now, but you guys can check out the progress here
    (uploading everything here is kind of a pain do to image constrains)
    Last edited by jlor13; 05-08-2020 at 12:21 AM.