Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My technique for applying wipe on finishes (poly, tru oil) sucks... hoping for advice

The current weather (hot and dry) has allowed me to add quite a few more coats of poly in quicker succession. I'm now letting it cure for a few more days, but then, how should I proceed best?

The surface is already flat (as flat as a carved top can go) due to my prior attempt to polish it, so there are no really high or low spots, only some dust specs. Should I now sand it to remove the dust (which grid?) or should I go straight to the cutting and polishing?
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Wait. I'd leave it at least two days after the last application before doing any sanding. I like to sand the first level of cutting quite soon, as you then get more surface area for drying the finish. But then leave it for at least a week, (but two is better and three better still, before doing the final cutting and polishing. Whilst solvent/evaporation/drying can be fairly quick in this hot weather (35°C here and very humid now) curing is a slower chemical reaction that takes time and isn't so influenced by temperature.

Oh, okay :-)
    I wanted to let it dry/cure for until monday or tuesday, then polish. Good I have asked before

But what grid would you start to sand it? It is already very flat, only a bit of dust has to go. I thought I'd probably sand with 3000 or 5000 grid? Last time I started at 1000 and went up to 3000, and then, when polishing, I cut through the finish. So that's what I'd like to avoid, therefore starting this high as I don't have much to remove anyway?

I'd start with P600, then maybe P1200 and then P2000 and then polish. All wet sanding.

Hm, I don't know. It's already flat. I don't need to remove that much material....

Good point. I'll wait.

I know I actually wanted to wait, but it kept looking at me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200809_182855.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	36927

It's pretty glossy. Not a perfect factory finish, but I'm good with it for now.

Man, this thing was a real b*tch. Thanks everybody for your help here (and on all the other threads ). Excited to finish it, but my headstock decal stuff is not here yet.

Looks really nice. But you can still give it another polish in a couple of weeks if you want, and get it looking even better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3