Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Clueless German got herself a GR-1SF kit

I really like that finish. Nice white binding too. Well done.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Yep, that's looking very nice indeed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Looking good!
    Referring to you post #33 above re: tuner buttons, just be aware that not all button shafts are created equal. By button shaft I mean the little shaft that the button fits over and is screwed to. (I'm sure there is a proper name for it but I don't know what)

I learnt this the hard way. I've found that aftermarket no-name ones can vary greatly and one set of buttons won't necessarily fit all shafts. Even name brands like Gotoh can vary within their own models. At least IME, I had one set of Gotoh tuners that wouldn't work with another set of Gotoh buttons.

Just warning you so you're not too disappointed when the Chinese buttons do arrive.
    Not sure how painting them will go, but worth a try I guess.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

As is normally the case, StewMac have a good video on how to replace that type of tuner button.

Wow, it is looking great. Did you use a razor blade to scrape the binding?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

That is looking great!
    I think you may have to change your name from 'clueless' as the work you have done show some real skill!!

Just a note on the binding tape issue.
    It is worth visiting a local model shop (you have several in Hamburg) and getting some lining tape. There are several makes but the most popular for modellers is made by Tamiya.
    It comes in different widths (from about 2mm to 15mm) and is far more flexible than ordinary masking tape and will save you hours.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers
    Ricky

Too much praise folks, it's not done yet and I still have plenty of opportunities to screw it up!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Referring to you post #33 above re: tuner buttons, just be aware that not all button shafts are created equal. By button shaft I mean the little shaft that the button fits over and is screwed to. (I'm sure there is a proper name for it but I don't know what)
    Yeah, I'm afraid you are right here ;-)

My tuners finally arrived in the mail and I realized the buttons are not screwed on, but most probably set with heat like in Simon's video from Stew Mac. That means the new buttons wouldn't fit on there anyway, but also, that I can't remove them for painting
    The slightly good news is that they are not that horrible colored in real life than they are in the picture. The green is some greenish gray, I can probably live with it. They need some sanding/smoothing, though. Let's see how they look when they're on the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    Did you use a razor blade to scrape the binding?
    No, not a razor blade, but the blade of a crafting knife. Razors are too thin and too sharp for me, I think things would get downhill very fast with them. The small blade of the crafting knife (like a scalpel but no rounded edges) fit between my thumb and index nicely and I pinch it as a depth stop. I think they are called xacto-knives sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Just a note on the binding tape issue.
    It is worth visiting a local model shop (you have several in Hamburg) and getting some lining tape. There are several makes but the most popular for modellers is made by Tamiya.
    It comes in different widths (from about 2mm to 15mm) and is far more flexible than ordinary masking tape and will save you hours.
    I do have the yellow Tamiya tape and it helped a great deal on my other builds However, I always have some underflow in curved areas, even if I use shorter lenghts to reduce tension. It just lifts itself after a little while. Or maybe it's not the right tape? It's the yellow tape from Tamiya in the gray plastic dispenser. But you are right, if I had taped it, I would have spent a few minutes to scrape a few areas with seepage, instead of the whole binding.

While doing my taxes yesterday, I realized that I spent WAY TOO MUCH money for my guitar habit.... which actually ended in spending some more money to get a few sanding pads for this big boy. I carefully tried hand sanding in a few spots but I don't trust it. So I'm preparing to gather all the stuff I need for leveling it once it's cured. Feels a bit like a squirrel, collecting all these stuff that will become a guitar, eventually. (Hopefully! )
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Rejoice! New poly arrived! Also the new sanding pads from Bosch, which are pretty awesome. Let the fun begin in the evening, it's too hot right now to anything productive except slamming together some websites.

This thing is not easy to sand flat. This is my second try and it still has some ridges. Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to sand through the poly, as I have no idea how to judge how thick the poly still is after all. So I'm probably adding a few more coats, to fill up ridges and such, then sand again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200813_102139.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	36982

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast