Thread: First build GSJ-1

First build GSJ-1

This is my first build and have a fair bit of un with the painting etc. however I have come to a bit of an issue with the wiring.

When wiring up I went to the wiring diagram link in the Pit Bull manual and the only one that fits mine is a single p90 and single tone and volume pots. It shows a ground wire running from the tone pot to the bridge - understand this but how do I get to the bridge as there is no hole in the kit to allow that to happen?

I'm afraid you'll have to drill one. Go in from the pickup cavity. I used a pin vice on mine to let me get a low angle.

And don't forget to put some sort of protection - masking tape maybe - anywhere a drill or whatever you end up using could touch and damage the finish. When drilling at an angle it's awfully easy to catch a surface with the chuck while you are watching the drilling.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Are you sure there's no hole? Just finished mine, there was a large hole to the pickup route, and a smaller hole parallel than ran to the stud.

It'd be easy enough to drill a hole between the control cavity and stud hole. On mine the stud hole and pickup hole were siamesed.

Its so much easier to go in from the pickup rout. The control cavity and stud hole are on opposite sides of the guitar, so you have to be a lot more accurate and mark things out with a template to do it. It can be done, but it's a lot of effort and more prone to mistakes.