Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Adding Wood to the Headstock?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACD9A5DF-61C5-4EA3-A95A-4047A21543DA.jpeg 
Views:	221 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	36739

I’ve got a custom 5 string V bass kit coming (hopefully) in November. In order increase the chances of ending up with a playable bass that looks good, I requested the MM-5 bass neck be supplied with my kit. (Photo above)

I’m confident that I can get a traditional arrow shape at the top - well it’s obviously a compromise since it’s a 5 string. However to make it symmetrical near the nut, I’ll have to glue on a piece of wood or somehow build up the area near the nut on the G string side.

The bass will be finished in black so would sculpting a big chunk of wood putty work? Or would gluing a piece of wood On there and sanding it to shape be better? I’m leaning toward adding wood by gluing it one with Titebond glue. I’m also leaning towards not attempting the symmetrical headstock idea If I’m gonna screw it up, lol!

I could go completely unorthodox and superglue a chunk of balsa wood in that spot and shape it with sandpaper. It sounds crazy to use balsa but it can be hardened with a special sanding sealer after being shaped....just a thought.

How would you guys make the silhouette of this 5 string headstock look symmetrical somewhat like the 4 string example below?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F27CE098-EDBA-4517-A6CF-1C0684BFC2DF.jpeg 
Views:	199 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	36741
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 30-07-2020 at 03:01 PM.