Thread: Waxing after Tru-Oil

Waxing after Tru-Oil

Hi,

New to the board here and working on my first build.

I'm slowly building up layers of tru-oil and sanding, and have seen advice elsewhere to finally finish with a coat of Briwax clear. However I'm concerned that the wax may ruin the tru-oil. Anyone done anything similar or got any suggestions? Am I safe enough to do this so long as i leave plenty curing time before applying the Briwax?

Thanks

I’ve used an automotive wax over TO just fine. I just left it a week between the final coat of TO and the polished and waxing process.

TruOil is fine on its own, no need to add wax on top IMO. Never sure why people insist on adding wax on top of a perfectly good finish for no reason. It might make it a bit shinier if you haven't let the TruOil cure and then sand flat and polish up, but you can get TruOil very flat and glossy if you put in a bit of effort. And once it's cured, it is a very hard, durable finish.

The Briwax is a mixture of beeswax and carnauba wax. Beeswax is safe on all the guitar finished I know of and Carnauba wax is a common guitar polish wax. Carnauba wax on it's own can be used on necks if they feel tacky. So if you want to use it, then it certainly won't do any harm. But personally I can't see what it adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    TruOil is fine on its own, no need to add wax on top IMO. Never sure why people insist on adding wax on top of a perfectly good finish for no reason. It might make it a bit shinier if you haven't let the TruOil cure and then sand flat and polish up, but you can get TruOil very flat and glossy if you put in a bit of effort. And once it's cured, it is a very hard, durable finish.

The Briwax is a mixture of beeswax and carnauba wax. Beeswax is safe on all the guitar finished I know of and Carnauba wax is a common guitar polish wax. Carnauba wax on it's own can be used on necks if they feel tacky. So if you want to use it, then it certainly won't do any harm. But personally I can't see what it adds.
    Thanks Simon, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    I’ve used an automotive wax over TO just fine. I just left it a week between the final coat of TO and the polished and waxing process.
    thanks Jon

One of the benefits of TruOil is that you can easily add more on at a later date if you get a knock or a scratch. Waxing may prevent additional TruOil from adhering properly without first using solvents to remove any wax traces. Beware of using any waxes containing silicone as these are very hard to remove to remove, short of stripping the finish.

I would be very concerned about any use of solvent on a tru oil finish after my acetone V’s tru oil experience. If a solvent removes wax I can’t imagine it would be good news for your tru oil.

Naptha (lighter fluid) should be fine, as it is OK for nitro finishes and is a very mild solvent. It will remove general wax, but I'm not sure about silicone.