Thread: Nearly done. Pick guard help. GSJ-1.

Nearly done. Pick guard help. GSJ-1.

I've just got my machine heads from China (two weeks to UK) and it turns out the holes aren't in the right place, oh well, the wife can't see it!
    Also the pickguard doesn't fit the shape of the guitar very well, has anyone got any photos of their standard kit one fixed to their guitar?

Here's mine with the pickguard just placed on it. I still need to make my own 3-ply version (will attempt that tomorrow), so I can reshape it if necessary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGJ pickguard.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	36881

Here's a '66 SG Jr

Name:	66 SGjr.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	850.3 KB 
ID:	36882

They aren't that different. It's more that on the '66, the bevels are wider (even though I've increased mine a bit) and the guard follows the inner curve of bevel on that bottom edge for most of the length.

So I'll probably/hopefully do a modified version that follows my bevel better and fits the horn a bit better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Here's mine with the pickguard just placed on it. I still need to make my own 3-ply version (will attempt that tomorrow), so I can reshape it if necessary.

Name:	SGJ pickguard.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	36881

Here's a '66 SG Jr

Name:	66 SGjr.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	850.3 KB 
ID:	36882

They aren't that different. It's more that on the '66, the bevels are wider (even though I've increased mine a bit) and the guard follows the inner curve of bevel on that bottom edge for most of the length.

So I'll probably/hopefully do a modified version that follows my bevel better and fits the horn a bit better as well.
    Thanks Simon, it's the same as mine.
    I see why it looks a bit strange now.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'd imagine the original edge bevels were sanded by hand on a belt sander, so probably varied a bit in profile as well. So even then, some of the pickguards would have followed the edge better than others.

Appears to be missing a screw hole as well also same as mine.

Maybe even two screws. The vintage pickguards have another screw by the low E string that the modern reissues omit, but both vintage and modern guards have a screw halfway along the bottom edge that the kit guard is missing. Easy enough to add some extra screw holes if you feel so inclined. Pickguard screws are cheap, though are mainly the slightly larger Fender style, whilst Gibson screws are a bit smaller.

One thing I've learnt today. Don't leave your big black sheet of pickguard material out in the sun on a 35°C day when going to see a friend unless you are making a pickguard for one of Salvador Dali's guitars.

Also, double check that the material has protective film on both sides instead of assuming that and take the film off what you think will be the rear of the plate and find that it should have been the front of the new design scratchplate plate and you've scratched the top side as it didn't have film on.

And don't try polishing out scratches with a foam pad on a mains drill that runs far too fast and makes enough heat to soften and deform the scratchplate. Stick to the battery drill.

Also, don't spend ages then copying and cutting out a replacement for the new guard pickguard from the new but damaged one, only to find that you've just copied the kit pickguard instead.

Far too hot to think clearly.

Ha ha , my back plate had two layers on one side.