Thread: 7-string SG Kit

7-string SG Kit

One has popped up locally on Craigslist, real cheap too, but I am having a hard time finding a 7-string SG kit online to see where the heck this ting comes from.

The kit is complete but before I pull the trigger I wanted to see if I can find the specs.

I've found this (sold) but probably the same thing. But no detailed specs at all. Supposedly basswood body and neck, but I'd guess the neck is maple as I haven't seen a basswood neck before, far too soft.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1626389886.html

The photo form Craigslist is mahogany so it can't be that kit. I did find what I think to be it from some company called Albatross.

As it turns out the guy had 4 different kits for sale. A very cheap Les Paul, the 7-string I just completed, the SG I mentioned, and a PRS style with a flame maple top. I an picking up the SG and PRS tomorrow. $100 USD each. The other two I'm not interested in.

I'm thinking candy apple red over gold metal flake for the SG and maybe a cobalt blue stain for the PRS.

The PRS is better than expected. Not only is the flame top nicely bookmatched thed neck, including the headstock, are flamed mahogany.